GPS apps

Discussion in 'iOS & iOS Apps' started by koyut, Dec 8, 2011.

1. koyut

koyut New Member

Hello, I tried searching the forums but the using the word "gps" does not come up with any results. What GPS apps do you use and suggest that will be applicable to the Philippines?

2. ch4r13s

ch4r13s Member

I use Papago Philippines..

3. alistair

alistair Member

(Suggest a mod merge this with http://www.philmug.ph/forum/showthread.php?t=73677&page=5)

To answer the OP:

Try Waze—multi-plat, social, and gives (near) real-time traffic updates based on actual travel times, which it can then figure into navigation direction (avoiding standstilled routes or roads with hazards).

4. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

I use Papago M8. It works offline. Google Maps now has routing functions. You may need to be online to download the map tiles.

5. kaboom

kaboom Member

I also use Papago Philippines.

6. jduy15

jduy15 Member

wow. papago philippines is really expensive going at 35 usd. but i guess its cheaper than having to pay for data services and have regular gps.

i currently just use google maps. no specific app just yet.

7. machin_es

machin_es Member

Papago M8 is a good turn-by-turn gps map (no turn-by-turn function on built-in map in iPhone). Still, I think Nokia has the better map and it's built-in. (Sorry had to compare to Nokia because experience with Papago M8 still lags behind Nokia's)

8. Savant

Savant Member

I use MotionX GPS HD on my iPad... It doesn't have the Turn-by-turn navigation but you can download maps to use for offline use (perfect for out-of-town trips) and you can store your tracks for following later (perfect for if someone guides you to your destination the first time, and the subsequent times you can now go there on your own!). :)

For searching locations, I find it better to still use the default Maps app... Google Maps search still rocks the competition.

9. comixster

comixster Member

Papago is very good. Too bad wala sa android

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

10. Ace20

Ace20 Member

nag wwork ba ang papago m8 for ipad 2 wifi only?
    interesado ako masyado.. need kc eh. thnx

11. surgfish

surgfish Active Member

but if you use these apps battery drains quickly.... i got fed up and bought a garmin instead

12. jonathanvital

jonathanvital Active Member

These apps are recommended for use while the device is plugged in to a car charger, thats the drawback of these apps..

13. opd

opd Active Member

if I remember right, with internet access you can approximate your position via wifi but turn by turn function won't work.

offline, you can "simulate" driving to your destination.

14. potpot2

potpot2 PhilMUG Addict Member

Im using papago with my ipad 2 and it looks much better because of the bigger screen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree on this point! Nokia still much better even though im
    Using the 5800 which has a smaller screener than the iphone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. mac-convert

mac-convert Member

Same as with most Philmuggers, I'm currently using Papago M8, and I'm currently satisfied with it :)

16. Marianne

Marianne Member

I haven't tried Papago yet. But I like Nokia's except it's not very accurate. It would propose that I turn left/right randomly along SLEx. Hahaha

17. opd

opd Active Member

First time I played with my iPhone 4s and GPS apps for the past 2 weeks. Previously, i only used them on wifi iOS devices. My take:

Waze (free app!) is more fun in combining turn by turn capability, finding alternate routes, and seeing potential traffic/accident/other incidents via social networking driving, "paving" roads not yet existing and noting corrections on the map or driving instructions and the like.

Papago (expensive app) is more "makulit" turn by turn GPS and has more detailed points of interest, finding gas stations, buildings, etc.

I use both depending on what I need to do...

18. macjobber

macjobber PhilMUG Addict Member

Papago does not work with iPad wiFi only because it has no built in GPS chipset, you will need a GPS receiver for the app to work...

19. ijdevera

ijdevera Member

Does Papago have a voice navigation?