Google Drive

Discussion in 'Third party hardware, software and accessories' started by ice, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

I'm pretty sure skydrive offers the same features as Dropbox more or less.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/skydrive/features

Skydrive is made by Microsoft so I'm 110% certain there is a Window 7 app. Download using your Windows 7 machine here:

https://apps.live.com/skydrive/app/9a65e47d-606a-4816-a246-90f54bf7a3ea

2. robvillegas

robvillegas Member

My google drive was activated this morning. They gave me 25gb (probably because of my paid gmail account). :)

3. kazer

kazer Member

what do you usually store with your cloud storage ?
    like how big is it and how much of it have you used?

I'm thinking of getting one, maybe skydrive or google drive , I;m still in the process of reviewing the pro's and con's , I would likely put my private photos on it.

Am leaning toward the skydrive :)

4. Cake

Cake Member

Google Drive does not have delta sync (yet) so it's not an option for me at the moment.

@kazer
    Private photos don't really have to be in the cloud. The cloud is more for stuff you'd need to have on-demand access from whatever device.

Still, if you're going to choose which company to put your private photos in, I'd recommend Skydrive and Dropbox over Google. Call me paranoid but I'm not comfortable placing my files on a company that already has my emails and who's business depends on tracking people across the internet and building a profile on their online activities for ad purposes.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news...rive-files-now-in-googles-promo-materials.ars

5. kazer

kazer Member

i was thinking of it as a back up of back ups :) ,
    yeah i was thinking twice of putting photos on the cloud, I;ve been reading their terms and conditions and other policies regarding it.

yeah, i agree with everything you said with google...

6. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

7. dasaint

dasaint PhilMUG Addict Member

This scares me about Google Drive

"Your Content in our Services: When you upload or otherwise submit content to our Services, you give Google (and those we work with) a worldwide licence to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes that we make so that your content works better with our Services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content."

In terms and conditions

I am sticking to Dropbox

8. Salaryman Ryan

Whoa, very "Facebookish" terms. Good catch.

9. pels_17

pels_17 Well-Known Member

It pays to read the terms and conditions..

10. darrelvalencia

Scary. All files that uploaded are considered theirs also. And way use it in everyway they want. Maybe not much threatening. Google is a good company and they will do that if they only have a good reason.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

11. arjaysalting

arjaysalting Member

Mine got activated today. Will try it but I'm sticking to Dropbox

12. Salaryman Ryan

13. lmd052300

lmd052300 Member

very informative article thanks

14. booblanco

booblanco Active Member

Dropbox for my content. Drive for other people's content. ;D

But seriously, the disclaimer might spook some peeps from uploading hacks and rips especially in the US.

15. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

I didn't think Google has any intention to willfully misuse user data/files, so I dug deeper and found this clarifying article: http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/25/2973849/google-drive-terms-privacy-data-skydrive-dropbox-icloud

Makes sense to me.

Google Drive seems to makes sense for people who frequently use Google Docs and other Google collaboration services. I don't.

In the end, I expect Apple, Google, and/or Microsoft to dominate. Storage is just that, so third parties will likely become marginalized, if not acquired. Ultimately, it's the integrated experience that will count. Google already has web viewers for Google Drive docs, which is a tad better than a dumb cloud storage. I expect Apple's cloud storage to be able to store and display iOS photo streams as well, without having to rely on iPhoto.

I am a paying Dropbox user. Sugarsync seems more fully-featured, but I will probably just wait for Apple's iDisk play (it will have one, especially after failing to acquire Dropbox). :slanted:

I just want Apple-like simplicity. And I'd rather pay one than have to manage an aggregation of free cloud storage. :slanted:

16. wildcard

wildcard Active Member

got my drive activated this morning, I wish they'd still support PPC like dropbox

17. kolim

kolim Member

Got my Google Drive activated this morning too. What is the main difference from Dropbox?

18. Salaryman Ryan

Since we are discussing about cloud storage and syncing services, don't you know that Apple almost bought Dropbox?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1256988

Interesting stuff, especially when Steve Jobs himself spoke to the owners. Considering Dropbox could easily be replicated as evidence of Skydrive and Gdrive, I was surprised why Dropbox's owners didn't cash out. I believe Steve was right, Dropbox is a feature not a product.

19. Cake

Cake Member

Yep. Apparently, Steve Jobs told the Dropbox people that they weren't a product but a "feature". xD

@kazer If it's off-site backups you're looking for, take a look at SpiderOak or Carbonite. Stay away from Mozy.

20. ijingo

ijingo Active Member

Already installed in my computer. Hope to have the iPhone app soon.

Guys how come I still have 2GB storage on Dropbox?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk