Globe's Extension of Contract Validity Due To Defective Phone

Discussion in 'Archives' started by jcfiesta, Jun 22, 2013.

1. jcfiesta

jcfiesta Member

I accompanied my brother and sister-in-law a while ago to Globe's Business Center in Festival mall. Their line was disabled because their iPhone is damaged and is subject for replacement. When we asked a while ago if the validity of the contract is the same, they said no. They had to extend it for two months because the line was disabled for two months. And so I wondered why it had to be extended when in fact the fault is with their unit. I do get it that they're not the manufacturer of iPhone but Apple is their partner. I believe that if Globe's management aims to meet if not exceed their SLA for issue management, they should recognize that the period the line was disabled due to defect of their services or products (yes considering their partners' units) is already a loss and that they shouldn't expect revenue from the customer by prolonging the contract's validity. I haven't read any Globe's postpaid contract and so I'm not aware if there is a provision that protects them from such incident. However, I strongly believe that they shouldn't be doing such. It's not a good practice and actually promotes complacency of incident resolution. How? Think of it this way. I'm not earning from this customer while I'm fixing this and he's still bound to comply with our contract so why do I need to hasten this resolution. I know that the staff attending to us was just following their policy and that she has no power to deviate from it. But the manager of that banch was fully aware of the what we were discussing and the manager didn't bother to intervene and discuss the matter with him.

We ended up leaving their shop, wait for the phone to be replaced again (it was just replaced yesterday and got broken today) and went to Smart to get a new postpaid line. The couple decided not to continue with Globe after their contract ends.

Just sharing our experience to you guys so you would know what to expect from Globe when you encounter the same incident.

2. 650h2

650h2 Active Member

Cant they just move the sim to another phone and continue using the line while the phone is awaiting replacement? Globe can easily replace sim size if this is an obstacle

3. Hero33

Hero33 PhilMUG Addict Member

I suggest you use the sim card on another phone. I don't see any reason why they should extend your contract unless you asked them to suspend billing till you get your phone back.

4. jcfiesta

jcfiesta Member

Oh yeah sorry about that. I forgot to mention that two months ago the customer service suggested to disable the account first. But then a while ago when we noticed they're extending the validity of the contract, we immediately told them to just give us another sim so we may still use it and continue the remaining months.

5. portgasDace

portgasDace Account Suspended
    ERASED FROM EXISTENCE

this is where subscribers fell to globe's trap. if you have a replacement on process and was asked to hold the line. just tell them no thanks. get a sim adapter and use it on another phone.

6. arubeto

arubeto Member

I don't find anything wrong with extending the contract based on the number of months the account was disabled, granted that you won't be paying for the months it was disabled. Did smart confirmed when they applied for a new line that they won't be doing the same as globe and would give you the liberty (say for example it took them 3 months to replace an iphone) to enjoy just 21 months of being locked in?

7. elbertlo

elbertlo Member

It would be fair to extend if the 2 disabled months were not billed--thus not paid. Otherwise, people would just disable their account for 2 years and get an iPhone for free.

However, if the full term of the contract has been paid, you can dispute any extension with the NTC. These telcos will try every trick in the book to extend your contract. So best to get the law on your side. I have had conflicts with them previously, and the NTC has been very helpful in getting things resolved, usually in the consumers' favor.

8. memphis

memphis Well-Known Member

My iPhone is also with Globe (turning 2 months already) for replacement. I still have the sim inserted to another phone. Still an iPhone (borrowed one) to simply restore a back up and sync all my data from iCloud. No choice. I need 3G data and since that's the number posted in my business cards, i have to make it active.

But i do agree with you that we fell to their trap here. If you think of it, package is iPhone+consumable+data for MSF. Now that the phone is NOT included anymore, there should be certain adjustments on our MSF. I asked for one, nadah! So NO service unit, NO rebates, NO compensation from Globe, LONG wait, and etc. The list goes on.. Very GLOBEish. The CSR from twitter told me that since i'm still using their service, they CAN NOT give me any rebates. Isn't it the unit included in the SERVICE since Apple is their partner? Wherever you look at, i'm still paying the same MSF without their phone.

Worst is, my iPhone's warranty expired with them. Not in my possession.

9. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

^ that doesn't sound right at all. They should give you a rebate at least; to compensate for not receiving the entire set of the package that you're paying for

10. jcfiesta

jcfiesta Member

We weren't the one who asked Globe to disable the account. It was their staff who did. So in all fairness to all parties the most logical and good business practice is not to extend the contract.

We won't lead this to legal matters anymore because it is going to be a waste of time and effort. They got a new line already from Smart anyway and they intend not to renew with Globe. It was a mistake to subscribe with Globe in the first place according to them because their house is a dead spot. When they asked if Globe can fix it, their customer asked if my brother didn't know if Globe has a signal there. My brother, as would everyone else asked with that question, felt offended. Of course had they known it they wouldn't subscribe from them hahaha... And from Globe's response they don't have the intention to normalize their network in my brother's area. Oh well...

11. jcfiesta

jcfiesta Member

Is there really a Globe representative here reading our concern or they must made our forum their venue for advertising? Just curious...

12. jcfiesta

jcfiesta Member

ah talaga hindi ba nagmomove din dapat ang warranty kasi it's a new unit?

13. portgasDace

ERASED FROM EXISTENCE

they just do it for ads. better try their twitter support.

14. jcfiesta

jcfiesta Member

Well... Well... Well... I did kanina pa but no one is responding...

15. portgasDace

ERASED FROM EXISTENCE

ganyan talaga. their twitter support is like a bug. they just come to you when they see your tweet otherwise none. so better tweet more than once.

16. francisian

francisian Well-Known Member

Globe will be back when they launch the next iPhone. LOL

17. jcfiesta

jcfiesta Member

Alam na... Hahaha