Globe Airboost

Discussion in 'Globe Telecom' started by onyx, Apr 21, 2017.

1. onyx

onyx New Member

Just want know if Globe is still offering airboost to their platinum subs for free?

2. jetan

jetan PhilMUG Addict Member

If you're a longtime subscriber yes.

3. onyx

onyx New Member

As far as I know, 10years tenure is for non platinum subs. You mean to say even if I sign up for platinum doesnt guarantee me an airboost? That's my only reason on getting platinum account. bummer

4. jetan

http://platinum.globe.com.ph/priority-service.html

[​IMG]
    Exceptional Services

Globe AirBOOST

Amplify your signal by connecting to a broadband modem that enhances your mobile network coverage at home.

GCash MasterCard Mobile Wallet

Shop easily by using a mobile wallet and debit card accepted in over 14 million MasterCard partner establishments.

Globe Rewards Points

Earn Rewards points with your Platinum plan. Avail of bill rebates, purchase from hand-picked Globe Rewards partners, or use your points as cash.

5. oj88

oj88 Well-Known Member

Airboost finally delivered and installed today. I was quite surprised at the TAT. I called them up like just 2 weeks ago and now, it's here in the flesh..

From 0 or 1 bar, now at full scale for most parts of the ground floor. Thank you Globe!

Haven't really done any measurements yet like bandwidth utilization on my DSL per call but initial tests shows that voice communications is clear and stable while data connection indicates it as 3G/HSDPA only. This is quite alright since WiFi is available anyway. It's the calls and texts that are important.

[​IMG]

6. neilrg

neilrg Active Member

You have a different unit. Is that a NEC? Globe also issues Cel-Fi units, it can boost LTE and doesn't need wired connection.

7. oj88

oj88 Well-Known Member

It's an NEC box... Model FP8131T.

Though I was not expecting its MAC OUI to belong to Cisco. I can only surmise that certain modules or the whole innards were OEM'd to Cisco.

As for Cel-Fi, potayto, potahto... Airboost got the job done, I couldn't care less. My folks are happy, and so am I. :) Maybe they reserve those for Platinum and VIP subscribers.

8. jetan

[​IMG]

still using their 1st GEN FEMTOCELL it's been 5 years already.

9. arubeto

arubeto Member

Is any of you using PLDT Fibr plus a separate wi-fi router for the Airboost?

10. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

^Yes.

PLDT Fibr modem --> Apple Time Capsule--> ethernet hub --> Airboost

11. arubeto

arubeto Member

Thanks! What brand is the ethernet hub? I was actually told that I need to have either the Mac Airport Express or the CDR-King WR-NET-021-ZI wi-fi router so they can proceed with the deployment. Else, they cannot process my request as that is their network group's recommendation as per the RM.

12. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

^I'm just using an inexpensive TP Link Ethernet Hub. It's not essential; I only use it because I'm connecting several items.

Not sure why they would recommend those routers. Fortunately, I had my AirBoost installed when my router was an AEBS (Gen 2, the flat one) and I just connected the AirBoost to my new TC.

13. arubeto

arubeto Member

Apparently they needed an extra Ethernet port as per checking their recommendation but they are still adamant that either of those two are the only equipment that they can cater to have the Airboost installed. I ended up buying the Mac Airport Express as it is difficult to find the cdr-king one.

14. jetan

i only use my old NETGEAR router. works fine.

15. francisian

francisian Well-Known Member

They installed airboost in out house. According to the tech, signal is good but quality is bad so they still installed it.

Attached Files:

16. vgsison

vgsison Active Member

I requested globe to install airboost in my house several months ago because of poor globe signal. After 4 months of waiting, It did arrive. It did greatly improve my signal inside my house but the airboost conked out a few months after. So poor service Globe.

jetan likes this.
  17. francisian

francisian Well-Known Member

That took a long time ah.

18. unknowngreats

unknowngreats Member

I applied for this last january and was approved, i just had to suspend the installation because we had to leave. Now that we are revisiting the installation, an agent told me we are not qualified since we are outside NCR. Just find this rather confusing, was there a change in policy?

19. jetan

you should just get the unit before leaving. it works anywhere with ethernet connection.

20. oj88

oj88 Well-Known Member

From my experience, having one installed at home, Globe seems very careful when it comes to installing these devices. The screening one has to go through is very un-typical of Globe. I mean, I've never seen them do due diligence such as when they're deploying one of these things. For example, they had to make multiple RF readings before and after the installation. They also sketched the floor plan of my home where the unit is installed, superimposing the RF strengths. Finally, there were a total of three (3) individuals who came to our home to install it. Two of whom are outsourced technical people and the other one, a lady, a Globe employee that seems to oversee the deployment. Talk about checks and balances.

The only reason I can surmise is that these things WILL interfere with their other base stations if not installed properly. From a legal perspective, these devices are actually portable base stations or micro cell sites. As such, they require an NTC license and/or approval. From my Ham days, I know for a fact that one of the stipulations for a base station is that, it's illegal to move the unit outside of where it was originally intended. If it was installed in a particular room, you should avoid moving it anywhere else in the house, much less at a different address or city, without Globe's approval.

Bottomline is, Globe is NOT keen on dishing out these micro cell sites unless you really have a clean record and a valid signal quality issue, among other measurements. These devices has the potential to disrupt services on nearby cell sites (either Globe or another telco) and probably to a lesser extent, the cost of licensing the apparatus with NTC.

jayparalejas likes this.