Fast Chargers for iPhone X and 8/8+

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPod Touch' started by nyao0124, Feb 12, 2018.

1. nyao0124

nyao0124 Member

Would like to ask if anyone here is using fast chargers on their iPhone. What brand, how many watts, and how long does it take to have a full charge?

I'm planning to get one for my X. I'm on Apple's 12w charger side since it is in the P1000 level and it's Apple branded however, Aukey and Anker offer 24w-34w chargers with the same pricing as well.

Thanks in advance for sharing.

jayparalejas likes this.
  2. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

Get the iPad charger (12W) the time difference is not that much, and you won't need to invest on a USB Type-C to lightning cable (PHP 1290) just so you can fast charge using the Anker/Aukey fast chargers which will also cost you.

0-50% ~ 15 mins (29W) versus 23 mins (12W Charger)
    0-80% in 1 hr (29W) versus 1hr 15 mins (12W Charger)

With the iPad 12W charger, you'll just use the current cable bundled with your iPhone.

nyao0124 likes this.
  3. nyao0124

nyao0124 Member

Thank you. Per checking with Aukey and Anker's chargers, I can use the standard lightning cable as they have two-three USB Type A ports. But with your percentages, I'm more inclined on Apple's 12w.

Thank you.

4. neilrg

neilrg Active Member

As far as I know Apple uses USB-PD for their ‘faster’ fast charging so you’d need a power brick with USB-C output that is USB-PD compatible if you want to fully take advantage of fast charging (USB-PD only works with USB-C adapters, but not all USB-C adapters are USB-PD enabled).

I agree with rdy0329, Apple’s 12W charger is fast enough most of the time. My 8 Plus fully charges in around 1hr 30-45mins.

#4 neilrg, Feb 12, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    nyao0124 likes this.
  5. jayparalejas

jayparalejas Active Member

I have 36W PD adapter for sale in the Marketplace. all you need is usb c to lightning cable

nyao0124 likes this.
  6. nyao0124

nyao0124 Member

Thank you. :)

7. nyao0124

nyao0124 Member

Ooh this is nice. Will check it.

jayparalejas likes this.
  8. King

King Active Member

Test to compare the 5W, 12W and 29W Apple chargers. Bonus it includes 7.5W Qi Wireless charging, charging from an iMac with both a USB-A and USB-C port.

Charging an iPhone 8 to 100% took 90 mins with a 29W charger and 105 mins with a 12W charger.

[​IMG]

With a 15 minute charge difference I'd only upgrade if I had an iPad Pro.

iPad Pros benefit more from the fast charging than iPhones.

This video below has 3rd party USB PD charges from Aukey 29W and Anker 29W charger

Watch:

[​IMG]

What I get from these two tests is upgrade to 3rd party under these conditions to minimize Apple Tax.

* Anker comes out with a USB-C to Lightning cable. Their current PowerLine cables are known for their durability as compared to Apple's cables.

* Wait for 3rd party USB-C chargers with USB PD that have more than 1 port so you can plug your iPhone 8, iPad Pro and Mac notebooks onto 1 charger. See USB port layout below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Photo of Aukey car and wall chargers above does not have USB PD and uses the incompatible Quick Charge 3.0 standard .

Having at least one USB-A port is useful when you have legacy devices like older iPhones, iPads, Android phones, UE Booms, Sony digital cameras, powerbanks, NES Mini, SNES Mini, and e-cigarettes.

I have both chargers pictured above and they are really useful in a mixed Google Pixel, iPhone and legacy USB-A device environment.

nyao0124 likes this.
  9. nyao0124

nyao0124 Member

Thanks King. :)

10. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

Any charger that supports Power Delivery will be able to Fast Charge your iPhone 8/8 Plus/X

Just make sure you have the right cable.

In my case, I only use third party chargers from Anker and Aukey (oops, my car's charger is a generic one, but it's due for a replacement)

11. francisian

francisian Well-Known Member

What specific anker charger should i get?

12. Leeger

Leeger Active Member

I’m happy with my anker powerport using an anker usb a to lighting cable. Not the fastest way to charge it but I dont think the extra 15mins or so is worth buying an apple usb c to lightning cable. Remember guys there are currently no third party usb c to lighting cable that is mfi certified.

13. nyao0124

nyao0124 Member

Guess I will stick to Apple's 12w instead just to be sure that fast charging will work. Thanks guys.

14. ice

I find this part really strange... Still waiting for Anker to release a Type-C to Lightning Cable...

IMO, fast charge is not a big deal there since the phone is charging while you're in the car stuck in traffic. When I'm in Manila, I use a faster charger (not Quick Charge/Power Delivery) since I also use my phone for Waze and as a hotspot) - looking forward to a PD car charger as my phone takes so long to charge.

Here, fast charging is a big help when you plug your phone, take a quick shower and leave the house for your dinner date :)

Or when travelling, you can almost fully charge your device while having lunch...

15. King

King Active Member

I am also waiting for that as well but with only a 15 minute (15%) speed advantage has me rethinking whether it be worth upgrading all 1 dozen Lightning cables.

Same reason why I dont both with wireless charging as it is more expensive than just buying a Anker/Aukey 12W USB charger.

If the charging time were reduced from 105 mins to less than 60 mins then I would be game to get a 3rd party MFI cable and USB PD charger

16. ice

I have a few wireless chargers since I used to have a S6... No need to have them fast since I just use it in the office (or at home while watching TV)...

But for those instances that I need fast charging... PD is handy.

As for the change in Cables... We're all going there someday, might as well start slowly :)

My iMac might be replaced this year (or 2019) with a Macbook Pro, cables will need to be changed.

I'm slowly starting with my cables for Android
    Next should be for my Apple devices.
    Still waiting for Type-C Power Bank prices to go down

17. Leeger

Leeger Active Member

Apple is to blame on this. They still have not released licensing for USB C to Lightning cable.

18. ice

2018 iPhone/iPad should come with a UCB-C to Lightning cable out of the box...

Otherwise, it doesn't make sense that Apple's devices cannot be connected to their computers, unless they think majority of their users use an Air...

19. bowman60

bowman60 Active Member

I bought the Apple usb c to lightning cable to pair with my 29 watt MacBook charger and I can confirm: the difference in charge time between the power delivery “fast charger” is, at least for me, negligible when compared to a 3-4 year old anker 5 port usb-a charger or even the 12 watt iPad charger. Same is true with the anker powercore line of power banks - they charge almost as fast the “fast chargers” that Apple recommends. Perhaps this will be improved by future firmware upgrades?

20. Leeger

Leeger Active Member

I agree! But I guess Apple thinks if you can afford a macbook and an iPhone, you can afford to buy a cable and/or an adapter. Hahahahaha