Extremely Disappointed with BTB - Terrible Service and Defective MacBook

Discussion in 'Beyond The Box' started by rozbubbles, Sep 6, 2017.

1. rozbubbles

rozbubbles New Member

Hi Sir Charlie,

I would like to bring this to your attention because I hope you can help. I bought a 13" MacBook Pro 2017 w/o touch bar in Beyond the Box Lucky Chinatown last week and just 2 days after using it, I experienced overheating (without it being plugged in after shutting down) and numerous hanging issues (I took a video of the hanging, as it was peculiar to me that a brand new laptop would start to hang days upon opening).

On 8/30/17, two days after this incident, I encountered the overheating issue again while my sister and I were in VMall, Greenhills shopping for a keyboard protector. While were were walking around the shops, I felt my bag was extremely hot; parang may binibake sa bag ko. When I opened my bag, it was the laptop. Now the laptop was in its case -- it wasn't open or partially open, and wasn't being charged with an external battery. I had Shut Down earlier and waited for it to turn off before putting its case in my bag earlier.

Seeing that it was overheating, I immediately ran to the Beyond the Box Service Center which was a couple of meters away. The front liner who received the laptop was Ms. Leny who also remarked on how it was so hot and at that point the laptop didn't turn on when the lid was already up. I explained to her that this wasn't the first time I encountered the overheating and that it was also having hanging issues. Please note that I haven't transferred ANY of my files in this laptop. What it has is 3 songs, stock programs it came with out of the box, and a Trend Antivirus software I downloaded from the Apple Store. She advised me to leave the laptop there and have it checked. Following her advice, I gave her the laptop which was scratch free (we both made sure 2 times) and reluctantly left my brand new laptop with them hoping they would be able to fix the problem.

On 9/1/17, I went back to the service center and was told that the technician had not encountered the overheating/hanging since he was not able to "replicate the problem". The technician's explanation was that it could have been the Trend Antivirus software causing the overheating. I was puzzled with his explanation because the Antivirus software is just the promo version and it doesn't even run unless you click the Scan button. No explanation about the hanging.

I was also shocked to find a scratch on the back of the laptop when the lady at the counter was giving me the MacBook. I left it with them for a day and they return it to me scratched. To top it off, they weren't able to fix the overheating and the hanging. I brought this to the attention of Leny, the one who inspected the MacBook prior to receiving it, and she agreed that the laptop was pristine when she received it as we both checked it twice. I requested to speak to a manager about my concern about the hanging and overheating since it was within the 7 day replacement but all they said was "Wala pong Manager ma'am kasi holiday". After waiting for 4 hours in the service center, I was finally able to get them to have me speak to a service manager, and he said that he would contact their end and would get back to me on Monday (9/4/17).

9/4/17 (Mon) - No call from the manager, I text him and the response I get from him is "Someone from VMall will contact you". After waiting for 3 hours, and no call from VMall, I finally call VMall and the reply is "Iniintay po namin response ng AppleCare" and was given another number of another manager from BTB Lucky Chinatown, where I bought the laptop from. I call BTB Lucky Chinatown and ask him for feedback on my issue and he said "We will get back to you; we are waiting for Apple's response about the replacement".

9/5/17 (Tues) - No feedback from VMall or the manager from Lucky Chinatown. I finally call AppleCare and was advised to bring it to another Service Center.
    Since BTB was giving me the run around, I gave the advisor BTB manager's number for a follow up. The guy from AppleCare calls him and tells me that BTB didn't even contact them before about my issue. So what was the manager from Lucky Chinatown talking about waiting for Apple's response when BTB didn't even contact them in the first place?

9/6/17 Today - No call/text whatsoever from BTB.

To say that I'm disappointed with this experience with Beyond the Box is an understatement; it actually makes me want to cry. There was no apology for the cosmetic damage from the Service Center and I've been given excuses and the run around just to have this laptop replaced. I just bought this laptop and for the high price I paid, I expected a laptop that would have no problems out of the box.

Hoping for your response.

Thank you

jayparalejas likes this.
  2. guwapito

guwapito Well-Known Member

Im sure @Charlie will address this when he sees this, but try to contact apple directly with your concern to make sure they are aware that you experienced this within 7 days from purchase. They have a chat support if im not mistaken.

3. jayparalejas

jayparalejas Active Member

Wow what a nightmare!

I Hope this gets all sorted out soon!

4. Lana of Beyond the Box

@rozbubbles , in behalf of Charlie, we're very sorry for what happened. Please give us time to investigate this, and we'll immediately contact you.

isaak and docjbr like this.
  5. cholale

cholale Member

:sick::sick: nightmare.

6. rozbubbles

rozbubbles New Member

yes, it's been a headache. :cry:

any update? can you give me a turn around time?

7. arkaell

arkaell Active Member

Looks like you got a lemon unit. Have you tried restoring it to the original settings?

8. Lana of Beyond the Box

@rozbubbles We're truly sorry for what happened. We're done with our investigations and now have a resolution for you. I have sent you a private message. Thanks!

ericb, eag and Cmmig like this.