External Hard Drives (questions, problems, discussions)

Discussion in 'Other hardware discussions' started by eugene3ph, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Kodachrome

Kodachrome New Member

Hi guys,

Di na nagmomount yung WD My Passport 1TB ko, but it shows up in disk utility. I have 10 years worth of photos inside. May kilala po ba kayong nagrerecover ng data na hindi masyado mahal? :( Salamat po

2. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

You can try WD Phils for any suggestions they might have. About that "hindi masyado mahal", is subject to how valuable your data is to you.

3. gaol

gaol Well-Known Member

There's a kiosk in SM North EDSA annex Cyberzone that offers data recovery services. I don't know their rates though, but based on last time I canvassed around, these services were somewhat expensive.

4. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan Well-Known Member

5. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

6. louie_gudboy

louie_gudboy Member

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get a replacement enclosure/casing for my Seagate FreeAgent Xtreme? I dropped it recently and it cracked. Thanks!

7. P-M-J

P-M-J Member

Do you know anyone who does data recovery?

My Lacie Thunderbolt external hd is failing on me. It self ejects on USB after 30 seconds, and powers down my computer when I plug it on on thunderbolt. I can't recover anything.

Help.

8. odin

odin Member

Hello!
    Was wondering if anyone has had experience changing the hard drive inside a Lacie d2 Quadra v2. I have the old 500GB and was wondering if I can upgrade that drive into a newer 4TB one. Thank you! :)

9. sandybridge_guy

sandybridge_guy PhilMUG Addict Member

Tried googling and found this one.
    It says on the bottom comment that the guy successfully upgraded to a 3TB one, but no one mentioned 4TB.
    Most probably because the price of a 4TB (if it even existed back then) would be too much 4 years ago.
    I suggest to buy a 4TB drive to a store that would gladly take it back should it not work on your Quadra.
    Tell them you'd buy a 3GB if that doesn't work out.

Hope this helps.

odin likes this.
  10. odin

odin Member

Hi sandybridge! Thanks for the reply! Yup, I've seen the page you linked and several others, but none that specifically mentions success in changing it up to 4TB drive. Was hoping a fellow Philmugger would have some experience before I decide. Anyways, might just do what you suggested and buy a drive from a supplier who'd agree to my situation. Thanks again! (y)

sandybridge_guy likes this.
  11. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

I know 2TB was the 'hard' limit on older hardware (32-bit LBA) way back when this hard disk capacity was new. However, it is generally agreed upon that if the enclosure supports 3TB capacity hard drives (48-bit LBA), it should theoretically support 4TB and up.

12. drigal

drigal Member

Good day guys!

I'm having problem with my external hard disk. Can anyone help me to recover my files pls. My mac said disk is not readable by this computer.

13. boobtubefreak

boobtubefreak Active Member

I'm also having trouble with my Seagate backup plus slim , I'm on Windows 10 and had no trouble using it in the first few months but a month ago I can't access it anymore it is being detected by my laptop and tried troubleshooting it and it says that it is working properly. It does not appear as one of the drives and the indicator light on the EHD do not turn anymore. any advice?

14. Kleithxx

Kleithxx Active Member

Hi guys! Im planning to buy Lacie Thunderbolt USB-C 4TB Hard Drive. Any reviews? Will be using it to store some photos and large files. I plan to access raw files (photos) through it as well. Para sana I wont need to transfer the files when I edit them sa laptop. Thank you!!

15. fcdiesta

fcdiesta PhilMUG Addict Member

I once bought a Mac-specific LaCie drive (firewire/USB) several years ago and it slowly failed on me. First, the USB failed to work within a year, then the Firewire started cutting in and out (nudging it made it reconnect), until finally the drive failed entirely. Granted, I managed to use it for a few years (three, methinks?). Maybe I just got a lemon, but I don't want to entrust my data to a LaCie product again...

16. Ohmme

Ohmme Member

Using it exactly how you described it, using the direct USB-C to USB-C! Fast (Not Thunderbolt fast)! Using lightroom to access large raw photos while editing!

#976 Ohmme, Mar 16, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  17. Kleithxx

Kleithxx Active Member

Thanks for the feedback @fcdiesta and @Ohmme, I ended up buying G-Drive 4TB. Will buy a faster drive nalang next time, for now, will try this. Saw a lot of good reviews :D