Evernote

Discussion in 'General iOS' started by deus, Jan 9, 2012.

1. deus

deus Member

Can I still use evernote without installing it on my laptop/desktop, only on my phone? AFAIK, they have servers where notes are saved over the cloud. I can still access those files through phone, right?

2. jonathanvital

jonathanvital Active Member

Yes you can. Also try plain text & simple note.

3. david-ruffin

david-ruffin Member

yup! even notes that were scribbled on my Pocket PC in 2008 are still viewable 4 years after on my iPhone. that's why i really love Evernote!

4. deus

deus Member

Same with dropbox? How much space is given for evernote? Dropbox gives you an initial 2GB of free memory.

5. eag

eag Active Member

Reviving an old thread to inquire: I can view notes full screen on the laptop but haven't found how to do it on the ipad yet.
    Does anyone know if there's a way to view a note full screen on an ipad?

6. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Evernote. One of my favorite Mac+iOS apps. Ever. :) So much so that I gladly pay for the monthly subscription.

^To view a note full screen on your iPad, click the pair of diagonal arrows to the left of the note title. HTH. :)

7. itaw

itaw Member

Also using evernote with hazel to sort my email and billing statement

8. dasaint

dasaint Well-Known Member

Evernote makes sense more if you use it on multiple machines . You need to be a premium user to access your notes when offline .
    Another Happy paying Evernote subscriber

#8 dasaint, Sep 24, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  9. Gman2000

Gman2000 Member

Can you password protect individual notebooks in evernote?

10. eag

eag Active Member

@rbenzon - Can't believe that I've never seen that till you pointed it out. Thanks!
    Seriously considering getting the premium service for this as well

11. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

^You're not alone. I didn't see it either, had to google it, then forehead slap myself. :)

^^I don't think notebooks can be password protected yet. Even if you could, that may only protect your in-device notebook; the cloud notebook would not necessarily be protected.

I don't really put ultra sensitive stuff on Evernote. But I think I noted my Evernote password in Evernote, so by the time a hacker sees it, it's useless. ;)

12. VicB

VicB Well-Known Member

For attachments, you can password protect them using their original program's password-protect functions (e.g. use MS Office to password protect Word, Excel & Powerpoint files). You'll then need a compatible iOS app for MS Office to open in your iOS device.

13. Ernani

Ernani New Member

HI, what are the benefits of a paying subscriber?

14. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

^I Evernote lots of images, pages, documents, email, so for less than $5 a month, I get additional storage/bandwidth capacity per month.

Plus, documents (PDF, Office docs, etc.) are searchable. I especially love the ability to search text (Free and Premium) within an image—which I use because I screen capture and photograph text (presentation slides, receipts, business cards, posters, billboards, etc.) often.

Other premium features and benefits: Get Evernote Premium | Evernote

I think of Premium Evernote as a document-searchable Dropbox. I am a frequent and heavy user of their browser plug-in. I practically clip everything. Point and clip! ;)

15. itaw

itaw Member

My only gripe with evernote is I can't send all the notes in one email. I have to send it one by one like sending my accountant all my receipts. I know I can share my notebooks but not all people are using the app.

16. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

^Huh? Sure, you can—unless it's a Premium-only feature, because I can send multiple notes in one email from my desktop app. Just select (Command click) the different notes, then share via email. Voila! :)

17. dasaint

I may add the add-ons for Evernote are very useful .
    When going on a Trip I would make a notebook and put information about my trip there .
    So When I get my E-Ticket using my PDF printer it allows me to print that pdf ticket straight to my Evernote
    Then when looking around on travel blogs if I see an article about an attraction I want to visit I would use Clearly to save it to my notebook.
    When I have a map I use Stitch to write and mark the places I need to know and Save to my Evernote Notebook
    I would download Bus timetable , Subway maps etc to my Evernote all in one click.

Premium comes in that I have all my trip information even if I am not connected to the net and I can share my notebook with people joining me in my trip.

So alot of Evernote strengths are also based on the available add-ons for it.

18. Xcalith

Xcalith Member

I use Evernote to archive everything I potentially need to retrive someday. I'm one of those who wish notebooks could be password protected. I keep requesting it as a feature from the Evernote team but they keep declining.

19. dasaint

This is what you get when you pay for premium account.

OFFLINE NOTEBOOKS

Access your notes fast whenever you need them on your mobile device, even without a network connection. Great for travel.

WORK BETTER TOGETHER

Allow your friends and colleagues to edit notes you share with them, and see Note History for past versions of notes.

Lock iconPEACE OF MIND

Passcode lock adds a layer of protection on mobile devices. If you need help, then fast, Priority support is a chat window away.

MORE IN. MORE OUT.

Keep more notes, more photos, more files...more of everything. Get 1GB of monthly upload capacity and an increased max note size of 100MB.

SMARTER SEARCHING

Search inside PDFs and attached documents, find text in images faster and rediscover your content with the powerful Related Notes feature.

PRESENT YOUR NOTES

Let people into your thinking process by presenting your notes in a beautiful, full-screen layout with one click.

20. itaw

itaw Member

Sorry i mean in the iphone app can you also email multiple notes? TIA