eero - Mesh WiFi networking

Discussion in 'Networking, Telcos and ISPs' started by PatrickGaerlan, Feb 16, 2015.

1. sibilly

sibilly Active Member

It works great! Getting almost full bandwith from any corner of our place. It comes with 3yr protection from trend micro at a newtworl level, QOS to tweak how you want speed to be prioritized, identify, prioritize, block devices from the network and a lot of other neat features. For me its really worth the 14k, read though that it lacks the backhaul connection that other devices have.

2. 11Finger

11Finger Member

Will be going to the US this June and was planning to buy it there via Amazon. Just wondering if it's available locally already ? And if so how much ? My concern with buying via Amazon is the warranty (and it looks bulky) especially since I'm thinking of getting around 4 satellites...

3. Ghibli

Ghibli PhilMUG Addict Member

I bought it from the link that I had provided earlier and was shipped to my residence. Amazon was kind enough to have the charges readjusted as the import tax was a tad higher from the supposed amount. The purchase was made at a time wherein the Mesh routers were still gaining popularity in the U.S. and were not yet available locally. To my knowledge, I honestly don't know if Mesh Routers are currently available in the Philippines particularly Netgear's Orbi. As for the item, it works perfectly as it is plug and play. No regrets with the purchase, although it was bit expensive.

4. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...Amazon gives you 30 days to return defective product and you will either get a replacement unit or a refund. Beyond 30 days, you need to contact the manufacturer. In other words, 30 days lang ang safety net. After that, we are on our own.

My advice is to just buy it through Amazon and have it shipped to PH rather than buy it through Amazon and ship it to a US address. Saves you the trouble of hand carrying it when you return from the US this June.

Of course, sourcing it here is much better, IF you can find your preferred brand/model. Lazada.ph sells different mesh wifi systems (like the TP Link Deco) but they are expensive compared to Amazon Global. The advantage is local warranty support (standard 1 year).

5. nuggets

nuggets Member

I'm in the same boat. Thinking of going the mesh wifi route to improve coverage at home. Are they compatible with 220v even if bought in the US?

6. 11Finger

11Finger Member

How much did the shipping and import tax add to the price ?

7. 11Finger

11Finger Member

Has anyone had experience returning an item after having it shipped direct to PH (especially those with wifi, bluetooth, etc). I had problems previously returning my razer turret as the logistics provider asked for all sorts of FTC documents though that item was purchased in the US.

8. Ghibli

I remember paying 28k for the entirety. Consists of one router and one satellite.

9. 11Finger

11Finger Member

Took a look at it at Amazon and looks like $1K for 1 router + 3 satellites (paying almost 50% extra for shipping + taxes). So am thinking I might just buy the router + satellite first (shipped here). Then buy additional satellites in the US so it won't be too bulky...

Quick question, was the units auto volt ? And what model did you get ? RBK50 ?

Ghibli likes this.
  10. Ghibli

Better to purchase the units from US directly, it's cheaper. The qouted prices pertaining to the taxes and import fees from Amazon are sometimes inaccurate and may need price readjustments on their part which they should be notified about. Yes I got the RBK50 which was way more expensive before. There are newer models which I believe are much more cheaper, from a "Launch" price point.

11. 11Finger

11Finger Member

are the units auto volt ?

12. Ghibli

It says it supports 110v-240v voltage.

jayparalejas likes this.
  13. 11Finger

11Finger Member

Great, I just took the plunge and decided to order the RBK50 and ship it here. Then if need more satellites buy it when I go to the US, that way I get to test whether I really need more satellites before I buy it...

jayparalejas, Sunil_K and Ghibli like this.
  14. 11Finger

11Finger Member

Hey Ghilbi, my shipment got stuck at customs pending NTC permit. Did you have the same experience ?

15. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

16. Ghibli

No, did not have the same experience. I think it’s best to personally consult with the customs about this.

17. duncan

duncan Well-Known Member

Even cordless phones need ntc sticker. My sister got one by using airline points and dhl is asking 1,500 because it needs ntc sticker daw.

18. 11Finger

11Finger Member

Just an update... I followed up with Amazon on my package and they said they "lost" track of the original unit and sent me another one. Didn't have the same problem with customs and just got it delivered today...

Sunil_K likes this.
  19. duncan

duncan Well-Known Member

Did the original item get lost in customs?

20. 11Finger

11Finger Member

Likely, I checked DHL status and it's still saying clearing customs...