eero - Mesh WiFi networking

Discussion in 'OS X Server / Xserve / Networking' started by PatrickGaerlan, Feb 16, 2015.

1. rdy0329

rdy0329 Well-Known Member

I'm using plume wifi. Super reliable! I bought the 6-pack for 2 homes (3-each). if spaced out correctly, I get the full 50mbps of my fiber line from each of my pods.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Whats great:

1. It recognizes your usage data and analyzes it through the cloud. If you are gaming, for example, then it will prioritize latency over bandwidth so that you can have a smooth online gaming experience.
    2. It knows the wifi networks around you and automatically adjusts to the less congested band + uses a different band for the pods to talk to each other.
    3. Auto optimizes the network. The kitchen pod is the least used AP in my home so it pushes some of my smart home device to actually use that pod and take the load off my living room pod to focus on 4K Streaming and Gaming.
    4. Less intrusive design. Just plug in an outlet.
    5. Great UI. IMO, the Apple of Mesh WiFi. Set it and forget it.
    6. One wifi network name & your device seamlessly switches pods as you walk around your home. No separation of 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz because that's all in the background too!

Whats so-so or not so great:

1. Cloud-based optimization means no wifi network when your internet service is down.
    2. Sometimes speed drops down on less used pods even if you suddenly have the need for speed.
    3. Super simple settings. Not for advanced users, only port forwarding is the only useful tool in the advanced settings.

SE20 likes this.
  2. Reepicheep

Reepicheep Member

Ok how is the support so far? Are there frequent software updates available?

And how do the pods reboot when the internet or power goes down? Does the mesh go back up by itself?

I'm actually going to use it in my parent's house to improve coverage. Will be used with the provided ONT/router of Converge since its signal does not reach the master's bedroom.

Devices in the house:
    1. 3 phones
    2. 1 laptop
    3. CCTV DVR (needs a physical LAN connection for online services)
    4. Smart TV (planned purchase)
    5. Android box (planned purchase)

#22 Reepicheep, Sep 20, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  3. julmercado

julmercado Active Member

How does this work? Is this connected wirelessly to your stock Fibr modem/router?

4. rdy0329

1a. Pods will go into "healing mode" when the power or internet goes down. It'll be checking for internet every minute or so until internet is back up (no significant power draw or heat).
    1b. When one pod goes offline, the remaining pods will step up their game, so to speak, to try and cover the area where the previous pod was located (auto heal mesh system).
    2a. 20 devices per pod for a reliable wifi experience as per their website.
    2b. All pods have 1 ethernet port, if your DVR is in a favorable(central) location then you can just place a remote pod beside your dvr and hook up an ethernet cable between both devices.
    3. Contrary to the suggestion of the website (one pod each room), you may opt to place a pod between two rooms (hallway) to be more efficient on serving few devices.
    4. I've not needed any major technical support so I'm not in the position to comment on it, they do reply to my shipping question when I was about to buy the device.
    4b. Software updates are done over the cloud during times where there are low network activities. 1am-4am or so. I think they employ algorithms to determine if its the best time to update (everyone's sleeping, or no one's at home using the internet).

1. Nope, you need one pod connected to the Fiber ONU then the rest can be scattered around your home. It'll be the one who'll figure out the best way to bridge those pods. Preferably 2 hops max to get a reliable service.

Example: Main pod (connected to Fiber/DSL) -> Pod 1 -> Pod 2. If you hop too many times, latency will take a hit. Good thing these pods know how to mingle with each other.

2. For my set up you can see that both remote pods are connected to the main pod (symbolized by the earth) and those small dots are the number of devices connected to the pods.

3. I've already retired my TP-Link AC750 router becuase it just works so damn well. Set it and forget it.

#24 rdy0329, Sep 21, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    julmercado likes this.
  5. kinse_44

kinse_44 Well-Known Member

http://a.co/emuz63O

For those interested Eero's currently 15% off for the base package on Amazon.

6. rdy0329

Honestly, for that price, I'd rather get plume 3-pack for $179.

7. Reepicheep

Reepicheep Member

I'm a Plume convert (y) 3 pods cover our 2 storey house

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SE20, ronjet and Sunil_K like this.
  8. Dipp

Dipp Member

Almond 3 routers guys.

9. potpot2

potpot2 Well-Known Member

we're using google wifi, set of 3. covers three storeys. speed is consistent on all three points. very satisfied. by the way we are subscribed to sky 50mbps plan

Sunil_K and SE20 like this.
  10. Edelheid

Edelheid Well-Known Member

For other eero customers, you should definitely look into eero's subscription offering. Beginning next month they're also including other services on top of their network-level ad blocking. For $9.99/month or $99/year you get amazing value out of it.

eero Plus benefits:
    • Network-level ad-blocking ($99/year)
    • 1Password ($60/year)
    • Encrypt.me VPN or formerly Cloak ($99/year)
    • Malwarebytes Premium ($60/year)
    Over $300 value for $99 annually. I'm a long-time user of Cloak (now known as Encrypt.me) for which I have been happily forking out cash for 5 whole years and with this bundle it's practically free. I'm also subscribed annually to both 1Password and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, so, to me, this is essentially the dream security package. I'm elated that this bundle is actually a thing. I am, I am, I am... ;)

Just thought I'd share this in case anybody else here is subscribed to some of the services listed above. And if you are, I implore you to consider eero Plus and save cash.

Read more about it here.

#30 Edelheid, Nov 11, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    Sunil_K, ronjet, SE20 and 1 other person like this.
  11. Dipp

Dipp Member

guys, just to let you know that Almond 3 [bundle] is available locally via manilatech.net .