eero - Mesh WiFi networking

Discussion in 'Networking, Telcos and ISPs' started by PatrickGaerlan, Feb 16, 2015.

1. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

This is very interesting. Lots of nice features but the most important is that it uses mesh networking instead of the usual WDS that other WiFi range extenders/repeaters use -- that means you don't get the drastic performance hit associated with range extenders/repeaters. They look great too. I was able to take advantage of the significant pre-order discount ($299 vs. $499 for a set of 3). I hope it won't take too long to ship. Will report back here as soon as I get it and try it out.

https://www.eero.com

bigticket likes this.
  2. madmax168

madmax168 Active Member

I hope they work as how they said it should.

3. PatrickGaerlan

Staff Member

I hope so too ;)

4. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

Heard about this a few days ago. I've also read up tons of exchanges with one of the eero dev at reddit. It's indeed cool in all aspects of the hardware, design and feature list. But even at $299, I still find it a bit steep for a residential access point solution. Much less if they revert to the $499 list price, which is practically borderline in the enterprise category.

5. Paeng

Paeng Active Member

Hi, how was the performance of this device? Thank you.

6. oj88

Curious about the performance as well. My initial impression from reading about it is that, you probably can just spend the same amount of money for it (based on the SRP of $500) by just putting gigabit UTP cabling and using proper APs.

But again, that's just my opinion.

I went with a more enterprise approach and ordered a Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-LR access point ($109 each). Many consumer-grade APs and wireless routers crap out when the number of connected wireless users gets into the double digits.

7. trigo

trigo Well-Known Member

how is the performance of this ubiquiti?

8. oj88

Still in transit. Ordered it from eBay and shipped via MSB.

But based on reviews, the latest generation appears to perform real well.

Review: Ubiquiti UniFi made me realize how terrible consumer Wi-Fi gear is

I have a rather unique WiFi environment at home and one particular AP would, at any point in time, have about 8-12 active wireless clients connected. It peaks to about 20-25 devices. Most of the consumer APs I've tried would just give up (TP-Link, Buffalo, Asus, and Linksys) when the connected users gets to around 10 and up. For that, I use a Cisco Aironet 1231 (a/b/g) for this particular AP. But it's already a decade old and already showing signs of hardware issues. Ubiquiti seems to be my logical choice; Enterprise-grade with a consumer/SOHO-level price tag.

9. macfrancis

macfrancis Member

10. trigo

trigo Well-Known Member

was tempted to get the 3 pack, but settled to try 1 first. will see how this perform in the house...

11. oj88

I ordered another two. I like it that I can manage all the clients through a single pane of glass. I can block or lower the bandwidth of erring clients (Android backup and iCloud backup are notorious sometimes). Now, I do it once and it's applied on all Ubiquiti APs.

[​IMG]

trigo and Juice like this.
  12. trigo

trigo Well-Known Member

nice. how many have you installed? office or house?

13. oj88

This is in my house... It's more of a compound with 4 families in it (2 other siblings and our senior folks). I have three APs active but have only replaced one of them with a UAP. Replacing the remaining two will give me absolute WiFi control... Bwaahahahah! (thunderclap in the background).. :D

Sunil_K and trigo like this.
  14. trigo

trigo Well-Known Member

got this from the email:

We couldn’t be more excited to announce that eero is now available for sale on eero.com and Amazon!

The world’s first home WiFi system, eero uses a distributed model – multiple devices placed throughout your home – to give you fast, reliable WiFi in every corner of every room. It’s a dramatic departure from the single-router model, and the answer to the dead zones and buffering that we’ve all suffered. This is WiFi that actually works.

As someone who visited eero.com early on, we wanted to reach out to let you know the news. We’re a young company trying to change a space in need of innovation, and we're grateful for your interest and support.

As a token of our appreciation, here’s a one-time code for $50 to put towards an eero WiFi system order with a value of $499 or more:

you can sign up from their website to get this.

15. PatrickGaerlan

Staff Member

Got an email notification several days ago that my pre-order finally shipped. Now waiting for Johnny Air to let me know it's ready for pick up :)

16. Jeff

Jeff Active Member

Got mine 4 days ago but did not have time to set it up until today. Very easy setup. In terms of performance, I am very satisfied so far.
    [​IMG]

PatrickGaerlan and Sunil_K like this.
  17. Sunil_K

Sunil_K PhilMUG Addict Member

There's already competition to the eero now.. its called Luma. I pre-ordered it and they said delivery will be in the Spring of 2016... lets see.

If anyone plans to pre-order, here is my referral code:
    https://getluma.com/?ct-referral-code=FSaAmYX6

PatrickGaerlan likes this.
  18. PatrickGaerlan

Staff Member

Looks interesting, the app looks really slick too. The more of these kind of systems out there, the better.

Sunil_K likes this.
  19. bigticket

bigticket Member

Interesting products! :)
    I've been following the Eero product also.

Looking forward to your reviews!

Hopefully our PH internet speeds don't hinder these products. :)

20. Reepicheep

Reepicheep Member

Anybody who tried Plume Wifi or other newer wifi mesh products ?