Dropped my iPhone 6 plus

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPod Touch' started by law_ren22, Jan 27, 2015.

1. den_lim

den_lim Active Member

Are the 6 and 6 plus really that fragile? Or would a case be sufficient to protect the phone from minor drops? Maybe I should wait until the next iteration of the iPhone if it's really that bad. I wonder if they drop-tested the design before they went to production

2. mischibooze

mischibooze Member

My mom bought a 6+ and accidentally dropped it a week later. She's getting it replaced through Globe's gadgetcare. I guess it pays to buy from authorized sellers here in the Philippines.

3. rednaxela

rednaxela Active Member

They actually do repair screens of the 6 and 6 plus. It comes as a complete assembly that's now easier to replace compared to the old iphones. Try googling it and see the easier replacement process. I took mine for servicing when I was in SFO last Dec due to a misaligned front camera (they call it crescentgate) and the apple genius told me they'll replace the screen and come back after an hour. It's still under warranty so I wasn't charged a cent. They are equipped with special tools now to replace just the screens. My iPhone 6 BTW is also a Apple Online Store US sourced unlocked T-Mobile unit.

#43 rednaxela, Feb 1, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  4. magnus

magnus Well-Known Member

Re: the crescentgate,i actually cannot tell or do know how to identify that. Lol. So i cannot tell if my phone has a crescentgate. US service centers repairs the iP6, i hope PH service centers can do the same to eliminate the 3weeks waiting time and not providing a service unit.

5. law_ren22

law_ren22 Member

That's what i've been thinking about too. Or maybe if i had a thicker case like an otterbox or tech21 maybe it would have better absobed the impact and it probably wouldnt have been damaged. Once i get my replacement unit i will invest in thicker protective cases and yeah, maybe a tempered glass too.

6. den_lim

den_lim Active Member

Gadgetcare includes breakages? That's good to hear.

Any idea how much to have the screen replaced by il_esquivas?

7. law_ren22

law_ren22 Member

Just to update, finally got my replaced 6 plus after one month of waiting. It was shipped to US and according to my contact, they tried to claim it under warranty but apple discovered there was an internal crack in my dropped unit and assessed it as human fault. They told me i will have to pay about 460dollars (20k pesos) and i said yes. Im now using my new 6 plus (unit only). I bought a ringke fusion case. Hope it can protect my 6 plus from minor drops.

8. jay_dls

jay_dls Active Member

Ouch! 460$ is still high IMO. Did they give you a new unit or was it just a screen replacement?
    I'd suggest you get a drop rated case that offers better protection than the ringke fusion. Although having a case doesn't really guarantee saving your device, it at least would increase its chances of survival :)

This might help - The Best 5 iPhone 6/6 Plus cases? Here's our picks!
    try this one too - iPhone 6 Plus Archives - Mobile Reviews Eh

You can watch them throw their iPhones from the manufacturer suggested drop heights here - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1hiI8TEoA0db5HhU4gbsUg

9. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

A tempered glass screen is meant to have another surface for scratches. It won't stop any shattering.

Leo

10. law_ren22

law_ren22 Member

Yes they gave me a brandnew unit with a different serial number. Whenci checked the warranty status it had the same activation date with that of my first 6 plus which was october 27, 2014.

Thanks for providing the links. Appreciate it.

11. jzosa

jzosa Member

My friend is looking where to get her screen replaced. How much did it cost for a replacement screen or the 6+?

Thanks!

12. Fervish

Fervish Active Member

13. ll_esquivias

ll_esquivias Well-Known Member

we don't replace glass for iPhone6 plus due to redundant backjob of yellowish stain in the film; full LCD replacement is highly recommend but costly - Php 16500

14. karl184

karl184 Member

15. tapnclick1940

tapnclick1940 PhilMUG Addict Member

Ouch. That's enough to buy a nexus 5

16. shootertwist

shootertwist PhilMUG Addict Member

i've been telling my friend about this one since i read about it too and he didnt believe me, a week after he dropped his iphone 6 with 2.5k worth of tempered glass and as expected the screen shattered, tempered glass didnt help at all. Even the case didnt forgot the model of the case but its a spigen