Do you have the time (Watches and Whatnot) Part 2

Discussion in 'General OT' started by blebla, Nov 12, 2009.

1. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

01B5A223-66CA-4EC6-A14B-A8A7013521F0.jpeg
    Old watch, new strap.

2. moliro

moliro Member

what i really wanted... i regretted buying the pepsi over this 3+ years ago when it cost around 300-350k... now the prices went way up to the point that im not willing to pay for it...
    but sir a 2003 submariner shouldnt have rehaut engraving... i once had a submariner 2007 without rehaut engraving. my 3 watches from 2005 dont have rehaut engraving... typo on the year? but then if it has rehaut, it should also have ar'd cyclops... did you have it checked at rsc before buying?

3. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

Good eye. I meant the model's 50th anniversary year was 2003 . My Kermit was bought in 2008 by my (sorta) cousin. It has the M serial. Then he sold it to me in 2017 for a hefty profit. (With cousins like these, who needs enemies, amirite?) I actually like my version of the Kermit better than those earlier versions without the engraved rehaut, because it feels more like a nice transition to the newer ceramic versions. Like a bridge between the five digits to the 6 digits (16610 to the 116610).

I didn't have the Kermit checked at the RSC anymore because a) we're sorta family b) he knows I have a rifle collection. :p The warranty card has the name of a local AD who is our common friend, so I'm not worried.

A month after I bought it, I was buying another Rolex from my HK friend who is a known reseller, and I happened to be wearing Kermit at the time, he asked to look at it and offered to buy it from me for a much, much higher price than I got it for.

It was an offer I refused though, and thankfully, the price is still climbing upto now. :)

Here is the Kermit again beside my Hulk (I love green, Animo La Salle!):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#3603 Godfather, Mar 22, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    hitme64, wulf, greta87 and 3 others like this.
  4. moliro

moliro Member

those are really collectible pieces you got there... i see the blnr in the background, i heard they are discontinuing it... to be replaced by the new steel pepsi... is that a 4000sd right most?

greta87 and Godfather like this.
  5. Godfather

Thanks bro! :)

They just launched the new steel pepsi on jubilee today at Baselworld. Also the rootbeer in two tone and rose gold. I like the root beer TT the best.

Yup that's my Batman in the back. I don't think it's discontinued though, it's still available at the Rolex website.

Nope no SD in my box. Just a SubC date (still sealed unopened) and a black Deepsea Sea Dweller. Speaking of which they launched a new Deepblue today at Basel too, with new movement same now as the red SD43 and other slight changes. Had several chances to get the red Sea Dweller last year. Still kicking myself for passing on it. :(

#3605 Godfather, Mar 22, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    jerichojanolo and Sunil_K like this.
  6. moliro

moliro Member

i envy you for being able to wear nice modern rolex pieces... i have a puny asian wrist so i am very selective to what im going to buy... those supercased rolex, im not even touching it. 36mm is my sweet spot, i can wear the 40mm's only if i pair it with some bead bracelets... this year's release, the TT gmt catched my attention... also the tudor pepsi. im a gmt fan actually... i love the 16710 specially the pepsi... this year's pepsi steel, does not look right to me... im seeing violet and pink... even with the wg ones i see in the boutiques.
    that red sea dweller is also very much sought after i heard...
    ill add just 3 more to my collection
    explorer 36mm
    wg president 36mm
    and a kermit
    hopefully, that'll be it...

what am i saying, of course i want TT dj rosegold, a 1979 sub for a birthyear watch, a ceramic white dial daytona or white zenith daytona or wg MOP daytona 116519 in leather, AP 14790ST blue dial royal oak... damn this hobby hahahaha

#3606 moliro, Mar 23, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    Sunil_K and Godfather like this.
  7. topaz

topaz Active Member

IMG_1586.JPG The submariner is my first rolex; I bought it brand new in 1990 for 35K. Today's brand new price is more than 10 times.

After 27 years, I got the watch on the right, but I still prefer wearing the old one

ronjet, SpydeR_AR, funcityboy and 7 others like this.
  8. Godfather

I have a weird wrist too. It's a 6-3/4" wrist that's 2-3/8" wide on top but thin from the side, with a thickness of only about 1-1/2". It's shaped kinda like a chocolate bar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Long story short, I can't wear leather straps of any kind as it won't adhere to my wrist no matter how long I wear it. Good thing is, yes since watches 40mm to 44mm and above have become in fashion, I've lucked out. I have a 36mm DayDate and a Datejust 36mm though that I haven't worn in years, because it looks like I'm wearing my wife's watch.

HOWEVER, if you read Hodinkee or other watch blogs, this year seems to be your lucky year. Most brands like Breitling, Omega and others (I think even AP) have introduced new 38mm to 36mm models. Rolex had always maintained their 36mm lineup.

#3608 Godfather, Mar 23, 2018
    ronjet and jerichojanolo like this.
  9. moliro

moliro Member

looks good on you, if i were to wear that, lugs will be sticking out from the sides... really thin wrist, bone and skin nothing else that would help :D ... i bought a pam111 though, dunno what i was thinking then but i regret that purchase... my wife has it, not that she has big wrist, but looks good on her.... its her beater.

#3609 moliro, Mar 23, 2018
    Godfather likes this.
  10. moliro

moliro Member

whoa 35k? i just sold one of my gmt's (16700) 4 days ago, also 1990... i wonder how much that cost new.
    i remember seeing a rolex in the 90's during the swatch era, im with my dad, window shopping for watches, i think it's a datejust and if i remember it correctly it's 90000php, we couldnt afford it that time, i was so surprise that a watch can cost that much...

11. Godfather

Red SeaDweller 43mm... sigh, for me, the one that got away. :( I think I saw a picture of Baselworld

Awesome pair sir.

12. Godfather

Thanks! But maybe you should give the supercase a chance. Maybe not the 44mm Deepsea, but the 40mm GMTc or SubC or SD40, I'm sure any of those will look great on you. Rolex has that magic that blends with any wrist. EDIT: Backreading a bit on this thread, I saw that you have a Daytona, and it looks good on your wrist naman a.

#3612 Godfather, Mar 23, 2018
  13. moliro

moliro Member

Thanks for the compliment... Daytonas shiny bezel makes it look smaller when worn, I think. The fat lugs on supercase is whats keeping me... I have tried them on, my friends has them. And for a brief period I had a subc date, I only bought it for profit. Also the 42mm explorer 2. If i can get a good deal on a nd subc I'll probably consider one. Not in a hurry though.

#3613 moliro, Mar 23, 2018
    Godfather likes this.
  14. hitme64

Coming sooner...
    AF06F5EB-7744-4081-8DA7-CED4A5BFF020.jpeg
    Zenith 1950 Swiss manual wind with seconds timer...

potpot2, ronjet, wulf and 7 others like this.
  15. Roman

Roman Let's hug it out!
    Staff Member

Wanted to share my Tudor Pelagos LHD.

62228AB0-C768-4FA4-98DB-EAC71D321A74.jpeg

potpot2, ronjet, Provboy and 7 others like this.
  16. suavecito

suavecito PhilMUG Addict Member

Roman likes this.
  17. widowmaker

widowmaker Member

Sharing yesterday and today’s Sub on the wrist.
    [​IMG]

ronjet, eag, Sunil_K and 9 others like this.
  18. Godfather

Blue moon cocktail. This one is a little too small for my wrist, but I can't get enough of that dial.

[​IMG]

#3618 Godfather, Apr 16, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    wulf, ronjet, Provboy and 7 others like this.
  19. hitme64

Brought this classic out...
    91FD8C64-EA3C-442B-A4A0-DA806E57B5B0.jpeg

widowmaker, ronjet, Godfather and 2 others like this.
  20. sibilly

sibilly Active Member

Sharing my steel and ceramic GMT master IIs

E7E941A5-2783-4702-9453-5F3CDE43FD2E.png

wulf, suavecito, ronjet and 2 others like this.