Diet - What works for you?

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by godivachoc, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

Between Down Under and the Great White North
    ^I read up on your Keto diet, albeit sparingly, and came across this part:

5B.
    Is the ketogenic diet unhealthy?

No. The ketogenic diet is actually so extraordinarily conducive to real human health that it quickly and readily reverses the diseases and malformities that a diet high in grains/sugars and low in fats will inevitably bring about. The idea that fat is bad for you is a complete and utter myth that never had any scientific backing whatsoever, and it is frankly a laughable notion considering how prevalent and important fats and cholesterol are in our bodies. Most vital hormones and steroids stem from cholesterol. Every single one of your cells are covered with and contain lipid membranes that are incredibly important to the functionality of the cells. Do not fear for your health when entering a ketogenic diet, because not only will you quickly rid yourself of body-fat, but you will experience numerous health benefits.

5C.
    Is the ketogenic diet unnatural?

No. The ketogenic diet is far more natural for human beings than a diet high in grains and refined sugars. The current diet based on grains and sugars is completely foreign to the human body, and is responsible for most of the diseases and ailments that we face today (diabetes, heart disease, depression, ADD, obesity, alzheimer's, cancers, etc etc etc).

Full link

---

What's the catch?

2. nquito

nquito Member

^ I don't think there's a catch. Just have to change your thinking to what's always been considered conventional thinking in terms of nutrition.

There may be adjustments in terms of carb/sugar cravings for most but my wife and I have not experienced anything negative in terms of loss of energy or health/sickness wise.

Give it a try for about a month and see how you feel.

3. daxdagr8t

daxdagr8t Member

My diet depends on my goals. Been lifting since i was 14 so i have a grip of what works for me. But to keep it simple, i usually count how many bites i take each meal then usually subtract 2-4 bites/spoons each meal. Does not sound much but it accumulates especially if you eat 4-6x a day. Then evaluate after seven days and play with my nutrient macros. Right now im 185lbs but Im doing a clean bulk/strength diet since im coming back to the US next month. I was 200lbs 4 years ago but strong as a bull, but i looked retarded since there are only a few big guys here in iloilo. Ended up cutting way down to 160 in 6mos had a solid four pack but felt like crap and my strength suffered. Decided strength was more important so i went back up to 170-175 and felt great. But then the girlfriend got pregnant so my diet became whatever shes eating so my weight climbed back up to 185lbs. I just re-incorporated plyo,tabata and hiit cardio so im expecting to lose some weight hopefully fats hahaha. But my normal macros are 200g of protein, 30g of fat and around 30g carbs. Theres a great app called myfitnesspal hd it great for logging your meals so you will have a better guesstimate of your macros.

4. daxdagr8t

daxdagr8t Member

pm me i might be able to help you with your diet, workout and supplementation.

5. daxdagr8t

daxdagr8t Member

I think he means mono unsaturated fats.

6. docjbr

docjbr PhilMUG Addict Member

Bad breath :p

7. Mortis

Mortis Member

+1!

I also noticed that I my face has cleared up with Keto. :)

Nothing beats bacon and eggs in the morning!

8. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

Between Down Under and the Great White North
    Thanks!

Will need to read up more on this. I couldn't quite grasp the info from the link. All the science of it just passes above my head... Might there be a simpler how-to for this?

Now that's a bummer, hehehe...

9. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

I permanently lost 5 pounds after six months by doing two things with my diet. Stop drinking any kind of soda or sweet drinks like iced tea and eat only fruits for dinner. I actually ate as much as I want at dinner as long it is fruits. So far so good. :)

triggerbokie likes this.
  10. DarkHalf

DarkHalf Active Member

Good for you. I love to eat, so eating a dinner of just fruits is... dare I say, boring, to me. hahaha!

I don't have/make the time for exercise, so I need to watch what I eat. But I LOVE to eat! I have a rep among friends and officemates for being able to out-eat anyone else at the table--- including the guys, but not gain the pounds that go with it (thank you, Lord, for great metabolism!!!).

Lately, been feeling on the heavy side although the scale says I haven't gained any weight in the last year. :p So I've been eating dinner with no rice for the past 2 weeks. Instead, I take lot of veggies (in lieu of rice), a portion of meat and/or fish. Sometimes, I have a small sandwich for dinner.

Really need to exercise though. Need those endorphins! :p

11. anddrivall

anddrivall New Member

In my opinion it simply provides energy to our body to perform daily activities like walking, working and to maintain body structure. Thanks to all here for nice contribution.

12. suavecito

suavecito PhilMUG Addict Member

Any leads where i can get ketone strips? Thanks!

13. Eriction

Eriction Member

Just wanted to share my progress so far with this whole calorie counting bit using the MyfitnessPal app...

Started my diet right after Holy Week... I weighed around 285 pounds

As of today... am down to 229 pounds.

Journey is not over but finally I am at the right weight where I can work out without my knees hurting that much.

My goal is to be at around 200 pounds by end of December at least.

So far so good :)

Btw any supplements/vitamins you guys recommend that I take as I go through this. Right now I just take centrum and vitamin c. Not sure if there's anything else worth taking that can help me become even more healthier.

Let me know.

Thanks.

14. littlewingz08

littlewingz08 Well-Known Member

Trust me, centrum doesnt have any effect pharmacodynamically nor pharmacokinetically at all. It's pure placebo.

I've read a handbook just a few months, containing international rating for drugs used or available worldwide. I was surprised after popping out some drugs i have in mind, to find that centrum doesnt even reach one star (max is 3 star).

ill ask my friend again for the name of the book. She's the one who showed me. And just to share, among other drug companies, only 3 of them got to reach the 3 star. Forgot the other 2, but one company i remembered, which i think is familiar to most of us, and that is USANA products (not related, nor advertising).

15. Mortis

Mortis Member

When I started doing keto I also searched so hard for these strips but unfortunately I was not able to find one. When I had my US vacation though, I was able to buy some at CVS but that's it.

It really is not the most accurate measure tho I must say.

16. suavecito

suavecito PhilMUG Addict Member

So would you rather trust your breath instead? :)

17. ryanfelipe

ryanfelipe Member

Almost the same for me and gf. Light brunch raw food and fruit. Then eat all you can during dinner. No soda or iced tea. Works good for us. It's called Warrior Diet. But I prefer calling it Warrior Lifestyle.

18. docjbr

Hey guys, what's your go-to drink?

I know, I know, water should be the way to go, but there are times I'm looking for liquid with taste. (And, yes, I'm familiar that fruits can "quench" that "sugar thirst"), but what's your lesser evil that has worked for you?

It's been 3 weeks since I've had any type of soda (non-diet or diet) - believe me, I went through withdrawal...

I'm trying to learn to drink my coffee black, but I don't think I'm going to be successful in it.

I tried drinking calamansi concentrate (1 part) mixed with water (9 parts) with a packet of splenda at night.

When eating merienda, I find myself heading to the store and grabbing a Gatorade Propel to quench my thirst.
    (Basically to avoid softdrinks, iced teas (C2, Lipton, etc), or those fruit juices -Fit & Right), energy drinks (the usual Gatorade).

What do you guys drink?

19. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

^When I'm in town for a week or longer, I prepare a week's worth of vegetable/fruit juice.

It's the same juice all week though. Story of my married life. :D

20. docjbr

Freshly squeezed oranges and the like? The Rustan's in front of our condo has a juicer, I think that's something I'd like to have with breakfast ü