Designed by Apple in California - The Book

Discussion in 'AppleTalk' started by johannes, Nov 25, 2016.

1. johannes

johannes PhilMUG Chairman
    Staff Member Chairman

Remember when the book "Iconic: A Photographic Tribute to Apple Innovation" came out? Some folks said, "Okay... It's a photo book of Apple products." Some folks, including myself, thought, "I wonder what Apple had to say about this book."

I turns out, the reason why Apple has been pretty quiet as far as that book is concerned is because for a couple of years now, they've been creating one of their own. Presenting:

Designed by Apple in California

http://www.apple.com/designed-by-apple/

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It chronicles 20 years of Apple design, specifically the "story" of Jony Ive and Steve Jobs. And by "story", I mean pictures. The only words in the book are: the title, the line "Dedicated to Steve Jobs", and an intro from Jony Ive. Then it's all photos. Covered in linen, using special paper and inks, and spanning 450 photographs, the book comes in 2 sizes. The 10.2 x 12.8 inches version sells for $199 while the 13 x 16.3 inches version sells for $299.

I keep on asking myself why I'd buy this. All I know is I want to.

Then again, rumors are circulating that Ive might be leaving Apple soon...

The "Iconic" book by Jonathan Zufi is less expensive and actually covers more Apple products (from the earliest products, to prototypes, to software and hardware packaging, and even less well-known Apple products like an Apple digital camera).

The difference between that and this book? Well, just look at the title. That's already an extra $100 right there. ;)

P.S.
    Here's a video walkthrough from someone who has both sizes.

Mykolant, jbfirefly, Nikkio96 and 4 others like this.
  2. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan Well-Known Member

I wonder if this book is worth buying and keeping hoping it will appreciate over time?

3. johannes

Staff Member Chairman

^ Well, if the rumors of Jony Ive's impending "moving on" from Apple pan out and Apple ceases production of the book, maybe.

4. Salaryman Ryan

Personally, if I wanted an Apple coffee table book I would get this one first:

http://iconicbook.com/work/

This covers a more complete range of Apple products. Probably won't be collectable as the official Apple book but it does have some neat special edition for those willing to pay mucho dinero. Check out the special editions at the bottom of this page. Pretty cool stuff:

http://iconicbook.com/purchase

5. Nikkio96

Nikkio96 Active Member

Might be worth buying then. I have a copy of Iconic from a few years back, but if I do purchase this, it might be the most I've ever spent on a coffee table book (but then, it does look so pretty) :) Does anyone know if it's something we can order via Fully Booked or Powerbooks, compared to ordering online and having it shipped?

6. johannes

Staff Member Chairman

Last I checked, it's only available at Apple.com and at select Apple Stores. As for shipping, be careful with the large version. Yves said it's really heavy and it cost him a fortune to have it shipped from HK to Manila.

Nikkio96 likes this.
  7. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

If I were in my 30s or 40s and had the cash to spare, I wouldn't think twice about getting this book (at least the small version). It would be just like getting one of those gorgeous art books from Taschen, with a lot more personal significance for us Mac heads.

But in my 60s, when I've begun divesting myself of some of my most precious belongings, I think I can be happy with the memories of owning and using the actual machines, from the SE and the PowerBook 100 to the Bondi Blue iMac and the Titanium G4. Apple has occupied half my life and I can turn the pages in my head ;)

8. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...a premium addition to any coffee book collection. Like.

9. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

i'm trying to get this on ebay, where it's available for just around $50.

Salaryman Ryan likes this.
  10. lazurda

lazurda Member

I was able to skim through this book when I visited the Apple Store at 1 Infinite Loop last week. :)

11. doblezeta

doblezeta Active Member

Have extra big version on hand if anyone is looking for the perfect Christmas gift. :) DM/PM me if looking.

12. Salaryman Ryan

Professor, I would love to read your memoirs on experiences on both the early pinoy Apple community and your Apple hardware back then.