Dent repair of MBA aluminum unibody

Discussion in 'AppleTalk' started by jupe, Mar 24, 2016.

1. jupe

jupe Member

Hello, People.

My MBA has an ugly noticeable dent on its aluminum unibody. For me, it's a painful eye sore.

Anyone here knows of anyone or any shop that do restoration?

Will appreciate your help. TIA.

PS: I tried searching in the fora here for anything on this subject, but the search tool returned none.

2. makintosh

makintosh Active Member

The aluminum body of macs are machined from a single block and given an anodized finish. I don't think there is a simple way to repair dents since there is no material readily available that will stick to the dented part and sculpted to the intended form. And restoring the anodized finish is another story. If there is such a technique to restore the dent in their original form, I'm sure it will be pretty costly. If the look really bothers you, a less costly remedy is to use a case if the dent is on the sides, stickers if on the palm rest or top of screen, or just live with it.

3. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

right, no easy and good way to fix that. i would source a spare frame if i were you. people sometimes sell dead MBAs here whose logic boards are busted.

4. jupe

jupe Member

Thank u, both.

Appreciate it.

5. attitude1

attitude1 New Member

go to buendia car center, a shop inside that center fixes dents. sure he can help aside from fixing car dents.

6. makintosh

makintosh Active Member

^ Seriously? :p

7. cybersniper

cybersniper Well-Known Member

Popping out a dent on a car's body is different from the unibody aluminm case of a MacBook. Aluminum is sort of more solid - solid but soft.

Also, their tools might be too big for a MacBook dent... and yeah, restoring the anodized finish is another story - as mentioned above. I'd follow sir Butch's advise.

It would help if you could post a pic here. So we could perhaps suggest other solutions. A hard case or maybe a sticker could cure the eye sore.