Coffee Talk

Discussion in 'Food' started by kaffee, Aug 25, 2007.

1. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

I've bought beans from Craft, Toby's, Yardstick, Luna, Kuppa. Price range is around p500, give or take a hundred, for a 250g bag; more for more exotic single-origins.

Toby's used to import their beans from Singapore, which meant a lot of roasted beans past their prime. But now that they have a local commissary, their beans are fresher. I used to have some shipped to me from Iloilo's La Roasteria too.

Locally, I usually buy from Craft (near my house), or Toby's (near my wife's office).

I don't have a "blue seal" preference, but my favorite roasters, for some reason, are abroad—Jewel Coffee (Singapore), Blue Bottle (SF, NY, etc.), and Temple Coffee (Sacramento). But then, I haven't tried bisdak's kalantrophy. ;)

Mykolant, chris2x, Sunil_K and 3 others like this.
  2. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member

Mykolant, Sunil_K and papajamba like this.
  3. macxchange

macxchange Well-Known Member

I tried Monkey Co. Coffee Roasters of Kaotep and the beans he sent me are really good. Good balance and light mouthfeel. The Baguio beans is similar to the Drip Medley of Blue Bottle. :) Perfect for home brewing. :)

kaotep likes this.
  4. kaotep

kaotep Active Member

awesome, thanks for the feedback chief! :D I was about to ask you how the coffee was :) we're glad you liked them

5. Reggie

Reggie Member

Just got a Behmor 1600 Plus. Roasted 1/4 Ethiopian Yrgacheffe and man, it tasted too good!

I'm using the automatic programs to test it: p3-C for the ethiopian since they are softer beans. 1st batch, I waited for second crack before cooling it down and I could tell immediately it was over. 2nd batch, I pressed 'C' (Rosetta Stone mode) immediately when I heard the first crack and it came out perfect.

For those in the US, I highly recommend to get it from roastmasters.com. Free shipping and with eight(!) 1-pound different varieties of green beans. FYI, Behmor is coming out with a new roaster with a phone interface: http://behmor.com/new/

6. papajamba

papajamba Member

Hey kaotep, can you suggest an espresso blend of PH arabica for my delonghi super auto? 99% of the time will be used for latte

7. bisdak

bisdak Well-Known Member

Wow! Maybe you'll have the graphs on your phone too? Like, temp against time, ala Artisan software... Let's see ... exciting times indeed.

8. lion0423

lion0423 Member

Hi kaotep. Can you PM me details on how to order fresh roasted beans from you. Thanks.

9. kaotep

kaotep Active Member

Hi JJB! yes i have a blend made of up of various PH arabica that's just perfect for espresso. It would be roasted a bit darker but close to approaching 2C but not rolling 2C. Let me know if you're interested in getting one.

10. kaotep

kaotep Active Member

Hi lion0423, I'll send you a PM :)

11. papajamba

papajamba Member

Very interested! PM sent!

12. tonedeaf

tonedeaf Active Member

Are there coffee beans or blends that are suited for aeropress? Or any kind will do?

pscolboy likes this.
  13. macxchange

macxchange Well-Known Member

coffee stash from SFO :D

[​IMG]

14. tonedeaf

tonedeaf Active Member

Has anyone tried "Figures of Beans" coffee? I chanced upon it's Sagada Dark Roast but have yet to try it. It's already ground coffee, though, not coffee beans.

15. abbykua

abbykua Member

There's this sort of new place in Polaris, Bean & Yolk. In my opinion, they serve good coffee and egg ben. :) A small place but nice to hang out. ;)

#2275 abbykua, Nov 22, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  16. andrews.rsheila

andrews.rsheila New Member

I drink tea daily, but i like stongs and hot coffee

17. tonedeaf

tonedeaf Active Member

So far, I've tried coffee beans from Toby's Estate (Woolloomoolloo) and I'm finishing the (already ground) coffee from Figures of Beans. Looking forward to trying out Craft Coffee Revolution Nuvali's Ethiopian Yirgacheffe in the next few days. Just realized I need to space out my purchases so the beans remain fresh.

porkypork likes this.
  18. pauljvg

pauljvg Member

Hello everyone, I would just like to know how the Benguet arabica coffee beans taste like. I'm planning to buy beans from Bo's coffee if it tastes good.

19. tonedeaf

tonedeaf Active Member

A funny and/or sarcastic take on coffee folks ;-)

Maybe Just Don't Drink Coffee

"When you bought it, you checked the roast date printed in the too-small font carefully—because after two weeks you might as well dump it all down the garbage disposal—and how it was processed, because you don't want any of those weird or off flavors you get sometimes with natural coffees, which would ruin everything. Anyway, the point is, the coffee beans are totally great. Right? Sure.

You still have to make the coffee, though. You're so tired you'd love it if a machine made it for you, but cheap automatics aren't good enough for your great coffee beans, and the good automatics aren't cheap enough for your budget. The Chemex's filter is so thick all you can taste is paper; the Aeropress doesn't make enough coffee to get you through the morning, though it'll do whenever you’re on the road or at a friend’s; the French press is for Europeans and charlatans who love sludge; and you're reasonable enough to never try to make espresso at home. Obviously, you're just going to have to make a pourover, which is fine and totally worth it anyway, you guess, because there's nothing quite like the feeling of crafting, with your personal human hands, a perfect cup of coffee. One. Cup. At. A. Time."

http://www.eater.com/2016/6/8/11883828/dont-drink-coffee-single-origin-beans-aeropress-starbucks

porkypork and jcsantamarina like this.
  20. macdiver

macdiver PhilMUG Addict Member

I believe they have local beans pour over coffee drinks on the menu.