Coffee Machines

Discussion in 'Food' started by coffeelover, Nov 10, 2004.

1. tonedeaf

tonedeaf Active Member

You may want to head over to the Coffee Talk thread --http://www.philmug.ph/community/threads/coffee-talk.24844/page-118

2. Sir iAco

Sir iAco Well-Known Member

#602 Sir iAco, Feb 24, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  3. tonedeaf

tonedeaf Active Member

Got a Nespresso on sale (I think this is like the basic model) in Sydney and my sis brought it here over the Xmas holidays:
    [​IMG]

I use this on weekdays, when I don't really have too much time to do manual brew. Very convenient, and I like that I can make latte/flat white.

Weekends I use Hario V60 and Aeropress.

I brought my aeropress to the office a few days back so I can have nice coffee there if I feel like it. What do you guys use to brew coffee at the office? I was thinking of getting a Clever dripper, might be easier than the aeropress and I don't need a gooseneck kettle or the scale etc.

4. tonedeaf

tonedeaf Active Member

My weighing scale has arrived and I've used it regularly. I find myself using the V60 more than the Aeropress though. I like the brew it produces more - I think because it tastes less strong. For those using the V60, do you have the 01 or 02? My next "reward" for myself will be a Kalita Wave.

5. bisdak

bisdak Well-Known Member

I have the 02, which is my everyday brewer, for a 2-cup brew with my wife. But when I do 1 cup, I use the Aeropress; I think the Hario isn't optimized for a single 5oz cup brew. 2-4 cups, it's the Hario for me. For more cups, say 5-8, then it's the French press. I have the 1.5L press.

You may wanna postpone getting the Kalita Wave, and wait what will happen to December.

https://www.thecoffeecompass.com/will-december-dripper-best-coffee-brewer-ever/

https://www.perfectdailygrind.com/2017/04/december-dripper-brewing-device-lets-dial-brew-flow/

http://sprudge.com/decoding-december-dripper-nick-cho-118674.html

6. tonedeaf

tonedeaf Active Member

^I saw that video as well. It's like an improved Kalita.

Maybe I'll get the V60 01 in the meantime. I was listening to the I Brew My Own Coffee podcast a few days back and one of the guests there said that a V60 02 (similar to the Kalita Wave 185) is ideal if you will be brewing 25-35 grams of coffee. If lesser than that, one should be using the 01 (or the Kalita 155).

7. bisdak

bisdak Well-Known Member

Cheapest drum coffee roaster. Stark oven toaster with rotisserie from CDR King but I got it from Lazada, P1,899 shipped + steel drum from Banggood, P500 + 112 post office fees + 62ish tracking #, total of P2,573. But the 1.8rpm motor is too slow, so I had it replaced with 8rpm @ P125. As you can see, only the upper heating elements heat up with the rotisserie function, which took me 21mins to roast a 250gm batch of Benguet beans. So I had it hacked so the lower heating elements light up, too. Paid P300 labor for the hacking and the motor replacement. Total cost = P2,998.

Hoping I can do PID on this one for a more precise temp control, then hook to my Mac using the Artisan software. Later ...

Meantime, let's see if this will last...

stark.jpg

8. bisdak

bisdak Well-Known Member

You can google it, but what I can remember from years of reading the forums -- 1) the ubiquitous coffeemakers usually don't heat the water high enough (close to boiling, that is), 2) they usually drip in the middle only, overextracting the middle part, underextracting the rest.

But in the past few years came the better SCAA-certified auto drippers like Behmor's Brazen, and a few others. But they're so expensive (for me at least) I'd rather go manual.

tonedeaf likes this.
  9. Juice

Juice Well-Known Member

I bought a Delonghi Dedica for my wife. She says she wants those E.S.E. for quick and easy brewing. I told her it's better to just do her own ground, but you can guess who won the argument so, my question. Where can I buy E.S.E?

10. lion0423

lion0423 Member

I used to buy ESE pods for my Krups espresso machine, but that was many years ago. You can check if these stores still sell them - Bacchus in Rockwell (Lavazza brand), and at Illy Espressamente, also in Rockwell.

Juice likes this.
  11. Juice

Juice Well-Known Member

Thanks. There's a Bacchus near me too. I'll check it out.

12. porkypork

porkypork Active Member

LOL! Mind if I ask where's the Dedica now? It's a decent machine for home use :)

13. Juice

Juice Well-Known Member

We're using it. Problem is, she really prefers the capsule over the E.S.E. pods, just because they have different flavors. I just learned Bacchus sells those Lavazza machines that uses capsules. Panick is the only word I can think of, after seeing them.

porkypork likes this.
  14. Juice

Juice Well-Known Member

Question. I can't find an answer anywhere, so I'll try asking here. I got a Delonghi EC680. I experimented on it, and there was a setting to increase the quantity of the coffee, aside from the standard shot of espresso just by pressing on the single or double shot and holding it until the desired quantity. Problem is, it is reprogrammed to that setting. I don't know how to revert it back to the standard settings. Anyone with a Delonghi or any suggestions?

15. C9

C9 Active Member

#615 C9, May 23, 2017 at 8:06 AM
    Last edited: May 23, 2017 at 8:50 AM
    caffelatte and jcsantamarina like this.