Can't live without Apps as of November 2016 for iPhones

Discussion in 'General iOS' started by christianz30, Nov 12, 2016.

1. akosidumbo

akosidumbo Member

Facebook
    Messenger
    Whatsapp
    Viber

1Password
    Authy - OTP Authenticator/Generator
    Dropbox
    Shareit - Cross platform data sharing

Google Maps
    Google Photos
    Photoshop Fix
    iDownloads+ - for downloading

2. Edelheid

Edelheid Active Member

I'm not sure if you've tried it already, but you can mimic Authy functionality with 1Password.
    Maybe you won't like this particular method, but it's worth a shot if you've never attempted it before.

IMG_0170.png

#22 Edelheid, Dec 20, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
    anjerodesu likes this.
  3. lsalapare

lsalapare Well-Known Member

Apps I can 't live without:

Google Maps
    Chrome
    Evernote
    Uber
    Dropbox
    MS Office Excel
    FB
    Messenger
    9Gag
    Instagram
    Spotify
    Grinder - hahahaha Lol

4. pochiman

pochiman PhilMUG Addict Member

@Edelheid ! hey amigo! you got any suggestions on what's the best iOS app for movie watching on an iDevice? may i ask what you personally use? thanks!

a friend recommended getting Infuse Pro. he says it's the best out there although i noticed they seem to charge an annual fee for each succeeding pro version. is it? what do you think?

5. shootertwist

shootertwist Well-Known Member

Also been using infuse pro the past year and currently installed on my ipad pro and 7plus, and its the best out there, quite pricey for an app but its got everything- eyecandy movie/tv show posters, plays all popular file formats, even plays those with 5.1 dolby digital/dts audio, can connect to a server and easy file management. Largest i played on it by far is an 18gb avengers movie (yup overkill hehe just didnt want to convert it anymore, and played it nicely without any hiccups :) their latest update changed to a yearly subscription model, still bought it since i'm very satisfied with it. The latest update also brought with it the default picture-in-picture which is very useful on my ipad pro.

6. pochiman

thanks amigo! just needed that 2nd opinion. i'll try to wait this out on my wishlist till Christmas before buying it as they might offer it as a flash sale on the 25th. i'm getting it otherwise any way.

7. Edelheid

Edelheid Active Member

Yes, Infuse Pro is among the best. If you end up purchasing Infuse Pro 5 for $12.99, yes, you need to acknowledge the fact that you may need to pay up again when Infuse Pro 6 arrives. If you go for the subscription model, however, that'll be $4.99 (normally $6.99 w/o the holiday sale) per year and you get to use all future versions so long as your subscription remains up.

(Infuse Pro 5 is a thing primarily for those that live up to the 'no to subscriptions' declaration.)

#27 Edelheid, Dec 22, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  8. pochiman

got it, thanks @Edelheid ! i finally understand the difference between the two.

my next question is, given that @shootertwist as mentioned earlier bought / went in for the yearly subscription model, which would you pick:

standalone Infuse Pro 5 for $12.99

or

yearly subscription model at $4.99
    (this discounted offer is only good till Dec. 31, 2016)

oh and why pick one over the other? should i just get both so as to not miss out on the yearly discounted price? honestly, i'm leaning towards getting the standalone app but i'd like to hear from you. thanks again!

#28 pochiman, Dec 23, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  9. Edelheid

Edelheid Active Member

Personally, my bias goes toward subscription. Technically I don't 'own' the app this way, but in my mind there's no telling when the developers will push out Infuse Pro 6 (between 12 to 24 months according to him) and with the subscription model it will take me two years before reaching the cost of the standalone version. Before it even comes to that we might already get v6 and with the subscription model it grants me a pass to use all future versions (v6, v7, etc.)

History of Infuse Pro updates:
    Infuse Pro 3: October 21, 2014
    Infuse Pro 4: February 12, 2016 (this was a free upgrade, but the developer has dropped hints that v6 could very well be a paid upgrade)
    Infuse Pro 5: November 21, 2016

I feel I'm already getting a lot of good use out of this app that it justifies the subscription price. There's also no way of telling if this company will continue providing us w/ a standalone version after v5 should this subscription model prove to be favourable among his customers. In a way, with subscription it makes the entire service future-proof (with recurring payments, once this dev stops updating his app he can expect his revenue to stop coming in), but if you feel strongly against being chained by this business model then there's still the standalone version. It's just that going forward, to me subscription overall provides better value.

IIRC the subscription app also lets you use the app for free without restrictions for a month but then you'd miss out on the holiday deal.

#29 Edelheid, Dec 23, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  10. shootertwist

shootertwist Well-Known Member

Yeah that's also my reasoning why i went for the yearly model, that way i wouldnt take much of a hit if ever the developer does decide to take a different route again... and with the discount $5 for a year of use isn't so bad... i think i paid $9.99 for the infuse pro and got to use it for a year and couple of months at most and it was worth it.

Edelheid likes this.
  11. pochiman

Thanks! @Edelheid and @shootertwist ! Sold on the discounted subscription model! Hehe! One last: should i also get the standalone Infuse Pro 5 to have the best of both worlds? I mean like if i change my mind in the future and quit subscribing, at least i'll have the Pro 5 to fall back on. I'm assuming the Pro 5's the last release and they might pull it from the App Store altogether once they have enough of a following on their subscription model. Much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

12. akosidumbo

akosidumbo Member

Yes I tried it already. But for me Authy is simple and faster to use.

13. Edelheid

Edelheid Active Member

If you're really keen on grabbing the standalone anyway, you should go for it. You can then decide on the subscription at a later date as this method of payment is less likely to disappear—and not to mention, you can avail it anytime—compared to the other. IMO, you'll only be wasting $$$ by funding both.

#33 Edelheid, Dec 24, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
    Ejaxene likes this.
  14. pochiman

thanks @Edelheid ! i have indeed grabbed both. first, the standalone app (as this may be taken down on short notice) and a few days after, i also went ahead with the subscription, knowing that the perpetually priced P249 annual subscription offer is only good until 12/31/16 after which it'll go up to P349 (which may go even higher in the future, depending on the developer's desired pricing).

all i need now is an Apple TV to pair up with Infuse Pro... still deciding whether to get a 3rd gen (far cheaper at $69) or the latest one (at $149). i'll only be streaming movies i have saved in Infuse on my iPad Mini 2 or from my 7Plus. i ain't doing Netflix, Hulu or any kind of streaming service for that matter. given this, will a 3rd gen Apple TV suffice?

thanks again!

15. Edelheid

Edelheid Active Member

Regrettably, I'm not aware of any methods for pairing Infuse w/ Apple TV 3rd generation. IIRC previous boxes needed a jailbreak to install and use Infuse, but even then I can't recall ever seeing a jailbreak for the third one.

I'm sorry that I can't help much on that front because I'm only mostly familiar the Apple TV 4th generation.

16. pochiman

no prob! at least this finalizes my choice of getting a 4th gen Apple TV. now, there'll be no second guessing on my part as to whether it will or won't work. the savings ain't worth it if i ultimately can't stream to it via Infuse. this settles it. thanks again amigo!

17. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

Dropbpx
    Evernote
    Scanner Pro
    Polaris Office
    SignEasy - digital copy of your signature
    Fastcase - free reference to US Statutes & cases
    LawJuan
    ESPN
    CNET
    CNN
    BBC
    WordSwag - photo editing app
    Over - Photo editing app
    Hipstamatic
    Netflix
    Youtube
    HBO Now
    Spotify
    Waze
    Soundcloud
    Facebook
    Viber
    WhatsApp
    Telegram
    Tapatalk
    Google Maps
    Google Hangouts
    WeChat - for my clients from mainland China

18. Edelheid

Edelheid Active Member

Perhaps, if you can still find a 2nd gen somewhere [because it can install Infuse]... I'm just not quite sure how that will perform today. :LOL:

Nonetheless, the Apple TV 4th gen is a very capable machine! I think it's very well worth the asking price if you at least desire a beautiful interface for your television. I didn't think I'd use it much apart from watching the occasional telly shows, but it's proved itself to me to be a real entertainment box. I just wish more developers can jump right in and conjure more apps, but because it will always have the App Store the possibility will consequently always be there.

Sadly, TV apps or games aren't very profitable at the moment so there is little incentive to pour any significant amount of work on them.

I hope you have an enjoyable watching experience! (y)

19. pochiman

hello amigos! just thought i'd share this as i seem to have been bitten by the japanese bug as of late. i'm pleasantly surprised and feeling quite amused as i've been able to read and pick up bits and pieces of japanese just by poring over these apps. they're worth the purchase as far as i'm concerned.

1st: i needed to learn hiragana and katakana. these apps got me there within a week of reading them over and over again:

Dr. Moku's Hiragana and Katakana (available as a bundle)

it uses mnemonics. i find the characters easier to remember coz of this.

2nd: after arming myself with all 96 or so Kana characters from step 1, it'll be easier to breeze through this one:

Human Japanese and Human Japanese Intermediate (available as a bundle)

these two apps seem to be what i'd say the jack of all trades as far as teaching basic japanese from the ground up is concerned. there's always Tae Kim's Learning Japanese (free) but after trying that, i always go back to Human Japanese for the ease of use and outstanding user interface.

3rd: i've read somewhere that since we don't really write as often anymore as we used to, it seems quite practical (and much faster) to prioritize being able to read and understand what's in front of us... for now. mastering the writing part will soon become easier and can be perfected later. but for those who are talented enough to do both (i know i'm not! hehe!), then there's these:

iKana and iKanji Touch (available as a bundle)

iKanji has the added bonus of not only teaching you how to write each one but helps you add up to your vocabulary at your own pace since it has decks of characters neatly arranged by order of difficulty.

4th: should you wish to learn more Kanji ala old school (flash card style), i believe this to be the best app that'll get you there:

StickyStudy Japanese Kanji and Kana (available as a bundle)

it has an arrangement of decks by order of difficulty and has more kanji than you can shake a stick it.

5th: lastly, rounding off this collection would be a great dictionary to rely on for more sentence examples and that little extra to push your vocabulary know-how to its very limits:

Midori

although Japanese and Imiwa are free dictionary apps at the moment, having used all three, i found the (paid) Midori app to be the easiest to use and most fluid of the three.

OPTIONALS:
    should you be in a rush, and need something translated real quick, Google Translate (free) takes the cake, followed by Yomiwa and Kanji Goggles.

ronjet likes this.