Can't live without Apps as of November 2016 for iPhones

Discussion in 'General iOS' started by christianz30, Nov 12, 2016.

1. christianz30

christianz30 Member

Hi guys,

Since I'm dying here waiting for the delivery of my new phone, I just wanted to know what are the apps as of November 2016 that you can't live without? (This is OA, but you get the point XD)

P.S. Please exclude the built-in apps

Here's mine:

Utilities:
    Facetune ([Photo editing] This is my MOST FAVORITE app, this is not free but it's worth every peso for me.)
    Convert Units (Just downloaded this today, basically it converts units of measurements)
    1Password (Just downloaded this today as well, touch-id integrated password repository)
    Zomato (For the foodies like me)
    Tripadvisor (If you suddenly want to plan out a trip out of nowhere and you're looking for a good catch)
    BPI (One of the best apps ever invented)
    Grab (Transpo, I literally cannot live without this, I'm not even joking)
    Uber (I haven't used this but I keep it in case grab fails me)
    Waze (Need I say more?)
    Google Maps (Coz I'm paranoid that Waze isn't enough)

Social Media (Who doesn't have these?):
    Instagram (Fave app, it shields you from the BS of people in fb XD)
    Facebook
    Messenger
    Twitter
    Snapchat (I don't really post here, I just get the filters XD)
    Vsco

Games: (I don't play games anymore. eff me, right? XD But I keep these on my phone)
    Summoners War
    Pokemon Go
    Pokemon Shuffle

P.S. 2.0: I don't have spotify coz I'm subscribed to Apple Music :)

Those are the majority of the apps that I have on my phone, let me know if I'm missing out any awesome app out there!

#1 christianz30, Nov 12, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  2. pochiman

pochiman PhilMUG Addict Member

What's App.

for some odd reason, Viber's wifi calling as of late seems to have gone to the dogs. the former's call quality has been nothing short of amazing. never mind that it doesn't have video calling; what matters is it excels at what it was created for and i'm so alright with that.

christianz30 likes this.
  3. Edelheid

Edelheid Active Member

Everything that can be found on my front page are of equal importance. These are the first set of apps that gets installed each time there's a new phone.

1Password, Better (current content blocker), Calcbot (it'd be nice if it had a widget like PCalc), Copied (clipboard sync between my iPhone and Mac), Cloak (it's been my favourite VPN service since its launch in 2012), Coda (text editor usually for mobile development), Deliveries (for tracking my packages), Fantastical (beautiful Calendar alternative), Instapaper (read-it-later service of choice), iStat (to monitor my servers), Lookmark (to bookmark apps for later), Music Tracker (to see which songs from my library got deleted or modified), Overcast (huge podcast listener), Pixelmator, Prompt (SSH), Things, Transmit (for SFTP/WebDav), Ulysses (favourite writing tool on both iPhone and Mac), Tweetbot (Twitter is my only 'social network' because what is public cannot be leaked or confiscated), Weather Line, and Workflow (powerful automation tool with myriads of possibilities).

As for games: Alto's Adventure, Monument Valley, Transistor, Blackbox, Exploding Kittens, Severed, Solitairica, and Perchang. I have a huge backlog of games to play, but these are the only ones in my folder right now. I hardly even get the time to finish most of these. :(

Anmi, peppersauce and christianz30 like this.
  4. christianz30

christianz30 Member

I found myself installing Calcbot since its the only user-friendly calculator in the Apple Watch =))
    Are you still using "Copied" even if the clipboard is automatically synced in iOS10 for Macs and iPhones (or every other device under the same icloud)?

Edelheid likes this.
  5. Edelheid

Edelheid Active Member

I myself don't have the Apple Watch just yet, but I'll make sure to launch Calcbot when the opportunity presents itself! :)

Universal Clipboard* is definitely a welcome addition, but my other main use for Copied is to keep a history of my clipboard readily available on all of my devices. I've been hoping that Copied (iOS) will be allowed to paste whatever is on my clipboard automatically to the app, but I suppose without strict precautions in place it can be abused by rogue developers. But for now, I'm content with just being able to paste my clipboard directly by visiting the notification center where the Copied widget is.

*I've been hearing that it's not yet 100% polished; some people have been experiencing issues with it, but so far it's been accurate to me.

#5 Edelheid, Nov 12, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
    christianz30 likes this.
  6. pochiman

is Cloak better than Hotspot Shield and just as free? if yes, in what way may i ask?

or does it offer an entirely different service? thanks amigo!

7. Edelheid

Edelheid Active Member

I have no experience using Hotspot Shield so it's not possible for me to answer that question. I'm sorry!

In general there are good and bad VPNs depending on what you intend to use it for. I use one for privacy and to keep myself safe outside. Cloak, to me, is the perfect VPN service if that's exactly what you need. Below you'll find some of my reasons behind this decision.

I generally stay away from free VPNs as they're not entirely free; for the privacy-conscious individual they're simply not feasible. You're paying for the service one way or another which typically means having your entire web traffic logged each time you're connected to them and tracking information about your web browsing activity sold to third-parties. Some of them may even have outdated data encryption. Not all paid VPNs are exempted from this particular danger, however, so you have to be careful with landing on a choice.

It's especially important to use a VPN while you're using any public Wi-Fi because when you're on them—like at airports, coffeehouses, or hotels—your privacy is at risk and you're basically wide open for just about anybody to snoop on. My favourite part about Cloak is that it automatically turns the service on when it detects that you're using a public Wi-Fi network so that's one less worry for me.

Cloak passed all of my requirements in that regard. They're somewhat strict, but it's all in the interest of protecting their business and users at the same time. It's a bad choice for those who often indulge themselves in illegal torrent downloading, but it's one of the best if you want purely privacy while at the same time abiding with the law. For other needs like bypassing the web irrespective of content, there's Private Internet Access.

As an aside... privacy has always been important, but perhaps it will be even more than ever before after Britain has just passed the 'most extreme surveillance law ever passed in a democracy.' The numbers that represent those who give little to no thoughts about privacy are increasing at an alarming rate—enough to actually sign away constitutional rights in the name of protection. We don't have to be terrorists to want even a shred of privacy in our lives, but it's just saddening to hear people say they have nothing to hide but outright refuse me seeing their browser history.

Hope that helps even if only a little bit!

My apologies if this entire post sounded like a nag or even unwarranted lesson, but it's definitely not my intention! I'm just very passionate about this topic and this is in hopes that others who might tread upon this post can find the intricacies of security interesting or maybe even insightful.

#7 Edelheid, Nov 18, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
    Anmi, peppersauce and isaak like this.
  8. pochiman

this was an eye opener indeed amigo. thanks!

and since we're on the topic, does Cloak also track our browsing history? if yes, does this mean it's simply choosing the lesser of two evils between using a VPN app like Cloak when accessing public wi-fi and risking accessing it without the use of one?

also, can you suggest a data manager app that can reliably monitor one's data usage especially for us with limited data allocations? i personally have used My Data Manager by Mobidia but given your reply, i'm thinking if it too is tracking my web history at the backend. and if yes, i'm prolly better off uninstalling it and just personally monitor, albeit unreliably whether i've already capped out my allocation or if i'm still within my limit.

thanks and more power!

Edelheid likes this.
  9. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...Instapaper is my favorite iOS app. It just works. For casual gaming, War Robots.

Edelheid likes this.
  10. isee12dots

isee12dots Member

Chrome, BDO, BPI, Grab and Uber
    4 apps i maintained when i lost my 5s.

i dont use Waze since Gooogle maps has been enough for me.

Games:
    Brave Frontier and Final Fantasy Brave Exvius

other apps are neglible or can be on a browser like facebook

11. Edelheid

Edelheid Active Member

Cloak collects the following information for 16 days, and after that they're permanently deleted:
    • The number of bytes you've sent and received
    • The amount of time you've been connected
    • The IP address you're connected from
    • The assigned (virtual) IP address on our VPN network
    • The source port of each outgoing connection with start and end times
    The short of my long post is: no, they don't track your browsing history, and the bullet points above are simply logs that are necessary to comply with legal requests. They need the IP address you're connected from and your assigned IP address (e.g. you're connected to their Australian network at the time) so they can figure out who exactly is behind the misdeed.

Keep in mind that these logs really don't say anything of use, without some complimentary data to tie the threads together. Back in 2015, I had a conversation with them and they told me they've never had to send a customer's data log to any enforcers as they usually contact the customer first and warn them. You will find out why below. But it's been a year since then so they might have complied at least once to a legal request. If they have then I imagine it had to have been a serious crime.

They don't share any of the information to third-parties. They only keep them because they are subject to federal, state, and local laws and they will absolutely uphold them. This is why it's been mentioned earlier that Cloak can't be used if the individual plans to download anything illegal in nature. They do allow the use of torrent but whatever you're downloading (movies, music, etc.) cannot be unlawful in any way or legal agencies that might happen to be 'tracking' the torrent you're downloading will demand Cloak for details and they will comply simply because it's the law. The request would have to come from a United States federal, state, or local authority; but even then there is likely to be little or no valuable data that they could share with law enforcement. (See above) But the most important part is: unless it's a legally binding request, no data about you will be shared and you can trust the company to not look at any data they have on you.

I keep mentioning torrents because they are the most common reason for Cloak to receive legal requests. The DMCA is pretty effective here. Basically, someone torrents something; someone else notices and sends a claim to one of Cloak's network providers; their network providers find and alerts Cloak; Cloak finds the customer that's behind the illegal activity. The communication chain is only one way, however, and Cloak is under no legal obligation to say anything back to the people who hand them the notice... so they don't. Cloak forwards DMCA notices to their customers. DMCA notices contain no requests for customer data. They do contain a request that Cloak passes on to the correct customer. It's mostly warning you to stop whatever illegal activity you've been doing.

They also see other forms of abuse, like system administrators that notice hacking attempts on their servers from Cloak's network. That's also stuff Cloak investigates and deals with quick. Cloak can't be used to hide your ass

So all in all they do keep logs, although they are minimal and tell essentially no story... unless someone comes knocking on their door with just the right pieces of complimentary information to tie the threads together. Cloak's goal isn't to give you a veil of secrecy beneath which wrongdoing can bloom and, in any case, they don't really believe that a service like theirs (despite competitors' promises to the contrary) can even provide such a thing to begin with! I've tried many VPNs that claim to protect you from just about anything—even the law—until damning proofs one day surface and it turns out they've been sharing your info to law enforcements. Cloak doesn't claim this and the people behind this company can be trusted. It's why I trust them compared to the others. They're very honest with their policies and it's just up to the user on whether or not they're okay with it. It all sums up to what you need the VPN for.

If one simply doesn't want his ISP or VPN provider taking a peak at his browsing habits, and wants to be safe outside... this is a good choice.

Try MiniStats or smartapp. I use MiniStats because I got it when it was free temporarily and it turned out to be a decent app for my usage but it's not the most customisable of the lot, so if you have plans that resets at irregular intervals that might be a problem. You should check out smartapp first and see if it's to your liking—it's free to do so.

#11 Edelheid, Nov 18, 2016
    Anmi and pochiman like this.
  12. pochiman

hi again amigo! sorry! a bit of a bugger i am! thanks for the tips! i can't install Cloak yet as i am still on iOS 8.1 on my 5S. Cloak requires 8.2. i'll just install it once i get my 7Plus.

as for MiniStats, i just added it to my wishlist for now since it ain't free at the moment. i did install smartapp and i find it to my liking so far! i hope it doesn't track my web usage/history. see you got me a bit paranoid with your previous mentions. i can't help but be a bit more cautious now with the apps i download.

13. Edelheid

Edelheid Active Member

Great! As for smartapp, according to the developer everything is client side (meaning to say no login, no data tracking) so you should get sufficient privacy with zero data stored at their end. :)

If you want to be notified when MiniStats (or virtually any other app) goes on sale you can use AppShopper and add the said app to your wishlist. When an app that's in your wishlist goes on sale, or goes free, you will get an email notifying you so. Make sure you visit your settings and tick only 'Notify me of Wishlist price drops by E-mail' so you don't get spammed with emails every time the app is updated.

And you don't have to be paranoid at all! You just need to know that when you're using a product that's supposedly free—they're actually never free otherwise they won't even last a few months; they have ways of making money off you one way or another. When people are made aware of this fact they tend to exercise more caution when apps and services attempt to pry information out of them. I'm not suggesting everyone to stop using Facebook or similar services; by all means continue to do so but you just need to be vigilant with what you share because once you share those pictures and private information, they are permanently stored beyond your control and you can bet they won't even give it a second thought sharing your life to advertisers or third-parties. They're multi-billion dollar companies for a reason.

Also, be careful when an app requests access to your contacts or even camera. Unless it's a contact/messenger app, you have to question why they would want access to your phone book. Once I tried to download a game and upon launch it asked me for my camera... yeah, immediately deleted that. I'm not saying that the game may have had ill-intentions—that we'll never know—but there were absolutely no reason for an endless runner to have access to my camera so it's only reasonable to steer on the safe side.

#13 Edelheid, Nov 18, 2016
  14. mmanson

mmanson Member

I use:
    BPI app for banking
    SW: GOH and Galaga Wars for casual gaming
    Spotify for my music
    Anylist for listing whatever comes to my mind
    Dropbox for files
    Waze for traffic updates
    Uber for transpo needs
    Bloomberg app for stocks
    Gservices for my globe account (poor me :D)
    Mix, VSCO and Snapseed for my photo editing apps
    Puffin FB for my FB needs
    Dailyyoga for my super casual yoga time
    Youtube app for vlogs
    Viber for messages from friends
    Twitter app for UAAP updates and other sports news (and some rants from time to time)
    My Data Manager for my daily data usage reminder

15. tomangelo

tomangelo Member

Here are some of my apps:

Uber - One of my favorite app, very sleek and drivers are more polite and professional compared to the competitor (Grab)
    Spotify - Need I say more?
    BPI - Very useful for paying my CC bills and transferring money to other people who have BPI accounts
    Citibank - Real time tracking of your purchases
    Nike Running Club - To track my runs and to help me motivate to run more
    Flightradar24 - Realtime tracking of flights
    Waze and Google maps - For checking traffic before going somewhere

Other apps that I wish I'll use more:
    Blinkist - Read a brief summary of a book everyday. I got the free version already which entitles you to read a single book everyday.
    Forest - Allows you to focus on your work by limiting the use of your phone
    Quora - To gain more useful ideas and insights

And the usual social apps like FB, twitter and instagram.

16. anjerodesu

anjerodesu Member

Apps that I can't live without:
    1Password
    OmniFocus
    Spotify
    Google Maps
    Uber
    Tweetbot
    Workflow

17. macjobber

macjobber Active Member