Basecamp: PhilMug Hikers/mountaineers/trekking thread

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by xthine, May 5, 2016.

1. xthine

xthine PhilMUG Addict Member

For those who love to spend time outdoors ...away from Apple gadgets :)

Please feel free to share your experiences hiking/trekking/mountaineering, gear of choice, memorable conquests, future expeditions, tips, summit shots etc. Let's all motivate each other. (y)

2. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

My first climb to Mt Pulag was an eye-opener that I don't have an all-around gear for any weather. It pays to be prepared. The hike was easier than any climbs I did in the country and Malaysia. But sleeping over at that chilly evening...unforgettable :)

3. macmacoy

macmacoy Active Member

My first climb was to Osmena Peak in Cebu back in February 2012. I went there just to shoot sunset and had no intention of camping out so all I brought were an extra shirt and my camera gear. Forums I read say that it is an easy climb so I did not prepare physically. It turned out it was not at all easy for a first timer as I was panting like a horse not even midway the climb. I completed the climb in about an hour.

So I was able to do my sunset shoot but realized late that I will be trekking down in the dark and I did not arrange a habal habal ride back to the market (where I can continue my way back to Cebu City), I ended up eating and sleeping in my kid-guide's humble abode. I gave him a tip that made him happy.

[​IMG]Queen's crown by MacmacoyX, on Flickr

I went back, this time with my girlfriend, a couple of months ago and applied the lessons I learned during my first climb. We bought ready-to-eat food and water in the market prior to climbing and rented a tent where we can camp the night. It was still a hard climb for a second timer :)

bacchus_3 likes this.
  4. dasaint

dasaint PhilMUG Addict Member

Trekking Nepal after 2 massive earthquakes up to the deserted Everest Base Camp . Hope to do my 1st 6,000 meter summit by early 2017

Nikkio96 likes this.
  5. sillimanian

sillimanian Member

With no climbing experience, I accepted the challenge of friends and went with them trekking and climbing up Mount Kinabalu in Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia, followed by Mount Rinjani in Lombok, Indonesia. I only had a little over 4 months to prepare for both climbs, diligently spending time on the treadmill and climbing stairs in my office building. I soon learned that my preparations were not enough. I had to summon all my strength and will power to enable me to successfully climb the 2 mountains. As they say, no pain, no gain. It was worth it. The scenery and the views were fantastic and exhilirating. A truly Mastercard experience. Am I willing to climb a third mountain? Hmmm, I think for now Ill stick to scuba diving :)

6. alanis_junkie

alanis_junkie Well-Known Member

I was invited for a mt pulag climb before..i read it can be dangerous. planned/prepared for it but it was really cold up there!

mt pulag sunrise..

[GALLERY=media, 48]Mt Pulag by alanis_junkie posted May 6, 2016 at 8:35 AM[/GALLERY]

i can't imagine myself doing another climb like that..but I'm fine with simple treks/walk. I plan to join a trek tomorrow with fellow pinoys here in Sydney.

triggerbokie likes this.
  7. dasaint

In the Shadow of the Himalayan Giants

Attached Files:

Nikkio96 and triggerbokie like this.
  8. macdiver

macdiver PhilMUG Addict Member

9. triggerbokie

triggerbokie Member

nice pics. planning to climb Pulag soon.

10. macdiver

macdiver PhilMUG Addict Member

More pics from my Mt. Pulag hiking and camping trip.

[​IMG]
    Natural high. Sunrise.

[​IMG]
    At the summit of Mt. Pulag.

[​IMG]
    Above the sea of clouds.

triggerbokie likes this.
  11. dasaint

[​IMG]at 5,140 MASL the view of Cho Oyu(8,201 MASL) and Everest ( 8,848 MASL)

#11 dasaint, May 27, 2016
    Last edited: May 27, 2016
    Nikkio96, Jsnc and raypin like this.
  12. C9

C9 Active Member

Climbed in most of this country, Nepal, India and Pakistan (Karakoram) Himalayas, Cordillera Blanca (Peru Andes), Chilean and Argentinian Patagonia. For sheer adventure, remoteness and mind blowing beauty, the Karakoram is tops. Security and access nowadays might be problematic though, depending on which areas.

13. datsmyboy

datsmyboy Member

14. dasaint

Hi C9 , I am planning a trip to Karakoram , specifically to K2 base camp . How did you plan your trip I am very much interested to get your views.

15. C9

C9 Active Member

Mainly guidebooks and maps, pre-internet days! Compass and map rather than GPS. Should be much easier to plan now. 3 separate trips, stayed about 2 months trekking/climbing each time. Had no guides or porters, but was experienced and prepared enough to safely do it. Definitely also try other than the popular treks, lots of amazing valleys to explore: Karimabad, Hushe, Gondogoro, Rupal, etc. Remote places where you don't see other people for weeks is a big part of the Karakoram experience. Trekker's Guide to the Himalaya and Karakoram by Hugh Swift was a good resource then. Plus the Lonely Planet guidebooks of course. Good luck and have fun!

#15 C9, Aug 12, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
    dasaint likes this.
  16. ailes

ailes Active Member

17. mataustriaii

mataustriaii Active Member

18. mataustriaii

mataustriaii Active Member

Old school hiking boots. Got it for 1.5k. Regular price is 4.5k[​IMG][​IMG]

19. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

anyone here using hiking shoes from Decathlon?

I'm thinking to buy a pair for those very few instances that we get invited to a campsite.

20. dasaint

Anyone in the group has done the Camino Santiago?