Bad Experience with Switch ATC

Discussion in 'Sw!tch' started by imyigarcia, Apr 10, 2016.

1. imyigarcia

imyigarcia New Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Hi, I apologize in advance if my post will come off as a lengthy ranting, but I just needed to share my daughter's experience with Switch ATC.

My daughter has an iPhone 6s that suddenly would not charge at all. Her boyfriend first brought the unit to Power Mac, where it was determined to be a possible problem with the battery, but he opted not to have it repaired first because my daughter wanted to consult with me. I told her (and her boyfriend) to go ahead to get it repaired as it may still be covered by the warranty.

My daughter and her boyfriend then took the unit to Switch in ATC because they were in the Alabang area already, and would be easier for her boyfriend to pick up when the phone is fixed. They were told in Switch the usual 3-5 days diagnostics, and they left the unit there.

Fast-forward to last Friday, they pick up the phone and was told that the issue was possibly with the Lightning Port, but would not be repaired under warranty because of dents on the phone. They also mentioned that they could not return the screen properly because of these dents. My daughter got the unit back, but was not given any receipt nor a copy of the diagnostic report or whatever documentation. She was already upset at this point.

I decided to take the unit to Power Mac in SM Aura this afternoon to try again, and to our surprise, we were told that a screw was missing on the upper left corner of the screen. Since the unit was with Switch this past week, we decided to call Switch to tell them about the problem. Now Switch is claiming that it was indicated in the report that the screen was possibly replaced with third-party part, and that it had a crack. I asked them why my daughter was not made aware of this fact when they gave the unit back to my daughter, and all they could say was "that is what the report says". I argued that my daughter was not even given a copy of the report in the first place, nor was she made aware that the screen may have been replaced, which I also find to be impossible considering the phone was brand new and sealed when I purchased it from Smart last December.

I continued to argue with Switch that they are to be held responsible for this newly discovered damage to phone primarily because of the fact that despite the unit being with them for a week, they deliberately withheld this information from my daughter.

The guy I talked to finally said that he will find a way to get that missing screw, but not without telling me that even if they put back that screw, not even Power Mac will accept it for repair because the screen was replaced with a third-party one, and that there were obvious signs of mishandling.

I admit, my daughter has dropped the phone a couple of times (I know this because I was witness to this) from a height of about no more 2.5 ft. There is a ding on the upper right corner of the phone (i will attach pictures of it later). Other than that, there are no other scratches nor dents, and has always kept the phone in a case. After she got the phone back from Switch, there is a new dent near the lightning port, and the screen is raised a bit.

Very disappointed in the experience, especially now since Power Mac wont even do diagnostics because of that darn screw. The guy i talked to said that he will try to find a way to get that missing part and will call me tomorrow, but now I'm doubtful. Any advise would help. At this point, willing to even let the unit be repaired in GH and pay if not one authorized service center will accept the unit.

2. vgsison

vgsison Well-Known Member

I feel you sir. This is not how this concern and repair should be handled. Hope it gets resolved thru our patrons here.

Cmmig likes this.
  3. Cmmig

Cmmig Well-Known Member

There are a lot of horror stories like this specially when you leave your gadget, car, etc in a service center for any length of time. So what I do even if there's a checklist, I take pictures in the service center of all sides, engine, tires (I've read that there are some unscrupulous people who change your tires to older ones, so take a pic of the serial numbers) so you have evidence if needed.

I also read about someone who left his dashcam on during service - so he was able to view that while on the test drive, the mechanic was looking at all his stuff in the glove compartments, etc, and I think he took some items.

Sunil_K and makintosh like this.
  4. makintosh

makintosh Active Member

No wonder the ominous name of their store -- SWITCH! :p

francisian, shootertwist and Cmmig like this.
  5. shootertwist

shootertwist Well-Known Member

That's why i always prefer to go to beyond the box even if its out of my way.

anjerodesu and Cmmig like this.
  6. Sabonis

Sabonis Active Member

@imyigarcia, report this to the apple hotline. No apple certified service center should be replacing apple products with a third party part. That is my opinion. Second, if they replaced it why didn't they charge you for the part? Goodwill? This is highly irregular.

7. makintosh

makintosh Active Member

Just searched Switch's website and saw their logo with the letter "i" inverted and in color red. I haven't been to any of their stores to gauge their service and my previous post was intended as pun. But man that logo sure looks eerie to me (no pun intended). :p

8. imyigarcia

imyigarcia New Member

Well, Switch continues to deny that they had anything to do with the third-party screen and the missing screw. Even if we bring it to BTB, we might just be told the same thing, so looks like we will just have to get it fixed elsewhere. Continuing to argue with them will be more like hitting my head in the wall repeatedly. :(

9. anjerodesu

anjerodesu Member

Next time go with BTB

10. bratpaq

bratpaq Member

Thanks for this story. I'll remember not to go to Switch for Apple products.

11. luis1204

luis1204 Member

I bought an iPhone 6s for my nephew last Friday and during the last 3 days the unit has been shutting down unexpectedly and it seems like there's an overheating of battery too. Today, the unit completely isn't working and stuck in apple logo. Tried hard reset and connecting it to itunes but to no avail.

I called Switch Glorietta and BlueBay and they're insisting that I should bring it in Glorietta for service ti get diagnosed for a couple of days but I disagree, told them should replace it with a new unit since it's nit even a week old. I can't afford to wait for a refurbished unit as replacement.

I will report them to Apple and DTI if they won't replace or refund the money today.

12. docjbr

docjbr PhilMUG Addict Member

Read up on the horror stories here.

Unfortunately for me, Beyond the Box and Power Mac haven't had any stock of the iPad Pro in the past month, and Switch has one available in the capacity and color that I like. Anyone that bought their Apple gadget here lately?

13. docjbr

docjbr PhilMUG Addict Member

Read up on the horror stories here.

Unfortunately for me, Beyond the Box and Power Mac haven't had any stock of the iPad Pro in the past month, and Switch has one available in the capacity and color that I like. Anyone that bought their Apple gadget here lately?

14. rdy0329

rdy0329 Well-Known Member

Sales-wise, BTB gets my money
    Service-wise Powermac earned their Premium Service Provider designation. They're just really easy to deal with in terms of repair and everything's laid out from start to finish.

15. lamski

lamski Well-Known Member

I guess Switch service varies per branch.

A few years ago, my iPhone 5S's battery became bloated and I didn't notice because the unit is in an Apple leather case. I just noticed that the phone loses charge rapidly. It was when I took the phone out of the case that I noticed that the screen has already separated from the case due to the bloat. It was already out of warranty but I decided to have it looked at by Switch (Glorietta branch). They advised me that the unit would be replaced in a few weeks with a new one but I had to pay for the replacement fee (4k++ PHP). Paid the fee and left the unit with them. 3 weeks later, I got a text that the replacement has arrived and I was generally satisfied with their service.

16. makinao

makinao Active Member

AFAIK, stores have to send it over to a separate service center. Based on personal experience and horror stories I've read here, one problem is a disconnect between the store and the service center. Stores can be super strict because they don't want to be reprimanded by the service center for accepting "imperfect" units. Service centers, on the other hand, don't always treat units with kid gloves. Also, whatever story you tell at the store may never reach the service center because the forms of their reports don't have space for long narratives. Reports coming from the service centers can be equally laconic. This is why I stopped going to stores for repairs, and for warranty repairs go straight to an actual service center where technicians are standing by, and they have a direct line to Apple Asia.

kyubi and raze19 like this.
  17. Jess

Jess Well-Known Member

i bought several iPads already at Switch plus a couple of macbooks and referred several friends throughout the years (Switch Marquee Mall). never encountered a problem with them.