Authentic Ramen House/Japanese Restaurant

Discussion in 'Food' started by beaver, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

A recent Japanese visitor made me realise how good the ramen scene in Metro-Manila is. He told me that many of the ramen genres are available in our city, and their quality is stellar. His only comment — you guys are wasting the good stuff. You take too long to finish your ramen, and missing out on the wonders of a freshly prepared bowl. He added: Stop taking pictures and slurp quickly!

chris2x, suavecito, Sunil_K and 5 others like this.
  2. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member

^haha, true. We pinoys "make more kwento than slurp" Reason i go alone when i crave ramen. I finish my bowl in less than 10mins.

I was at molito last night & was really tempted to cross to yushoken from starbucks. Kaya lang i was too full for a bowl so i settled for mint hot green tea.

Chito Limson likes this.
  3. docjbr

docjbr PhilMUG Addict Member

I'm at Mendokoro at least once a week, and 9 times out of 10, I'm there by myself. Bowl is done in 8-10 minutes.

First slurp, best slurp.

sabsar, jbfirefly, Sunil_K and 3 others like this.
  4. zoo101

zoo101 Well-Known Member

im having dinner at yushoken tonight! its been awhile since i made this trip.

wish it's 5 o'clock already!

5. johannes

johannes PhilMUG Chairman
    Staff Member Chairman

Same here. That glorious bowl is done in less than 10 minutes. No photos (seriously, how many f*****g food photos do you really have to share?). No chit-chat. Respect the food and the process.

docjbr and Sunil_K like this.
  6. zoo101

zoo101 Well-Known Member

^ i have yet to try Mendokoro; its closer to me than Yushoken but for some reason, the drive from QC to Alabang and back, is kinda worth it - my version of "me" time i guess. but Mendokoro will be my next stop, hopefully before the year ends or early next year.

Sunil_K likes this.
  7. testdummy

testdummy Active Member

Now I'm craving for ramen. I think I'll pass by Yushoken tomorrow for lunch.

8. WickedMac

WickedMac Active Member

First time to try Yushoken today but I like the noodles better in Ramen Nagi..guess I like the noodles harder...

9. zoo101

zoo101 Well-Known Member

had dinner at Yushoken last night. waiting time was an awful half hour - the concept of eating ramen is lost in most people :)

i went to Yushoken thinking i would change up my order a bit and try the other ramen variants but that Shio broth is just too enticing to pass on :) maybe next year... but im an old soul, i stick to what works and what is good. hahaha

Mendokoro one of these days...

greta87 and Sunil_K like this.
  10. johannes

Staff Member Chairman

Same here. I've tried other variants at some point but I always go back to Shio. I guess I prefer my ramen like my steak -- not much fuss, no fancy sauces, let the main product shine.

Sunil_K and zoo101 like this.
  11. bad_boy

bad_boy Watching Your Language
    Staff Member

I can't remember where I heard it, but can anyone confirm that they're closing the Little Tokyo area down in 2016 and turning it into a condo?

12. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

I can't confirm it, but that's what I heard too.

13. mongkee

mongkee PhilMUG Addict Member

At Mendokoro right now... Ramen heaven!!! Ippu-what??!? :D:D:D

14. johannes

Staff Member Chairman

Former chairman Elbert would be happy to hear that.

Mendokoro is my go-to ramen place whenever I have a Makati meeting that finished early.

15. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

^ @johannes tell me when you're in the area chairman. as you know, my office is near Mendokoro :) same with @docjbr

docjbr likes this.
  16. johannes

Staff Member Chairman

Sounds good! Might be there next week!

greta87 likes this.
  17. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

would love to eat ramen now, 'cept this Nissin Ramen sachet is the only one available in our pantry...bummer

greta87 likes this.
  18. johannes

Staff Member Chairman

^ A cop, lawyer, doctor, and former chef walk into a ramen bar... :)
    =============

The last time I was at Mendokoro, two ladies (looked like med reps based on their ecobags and their discussions) were also having their ramen. At some point, lady 1 told lady 2 that she really liked her ramen and asked her if she liked hers. Lady 2 said, "Ok lang. Pero mas masarap yung Ikkoryu". And she said it loud enough for others to hear and right in front of the Mendokoro staff. To his credit, and the female server, they just smiled when they heard this. Lady 2, on the other hand, just looked at them and shrugged her shoulders as if taunting them that there's nothing they can do.

I nearly choked on my delicious shio ramen (though it's not a bad way to go). I wanted to stand up and tell lady 2, "First, what's wrong with you? Ikkoryu? Second, have some respect not just for the food but for the people who work hard and give it their best."

I don't know what her agenda was but I guess she just wanted people to notice her.

greta87 and docjbr like this.
  19. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

^hmmm, i don't get it why people would eat at one place and then say that the other place was better than this and that and yet find the time and stamina to eat all they ordered...if it were true, and people were true to themselves, then they can at least drop their forks, stand up and left the place if they didn't like the food at all...this attitude of putting their foot in their mouths while partaking their meals is like taking Sec. Abaya on the MRT while he says "this isn't fatal," or something like what he says everyday to avoid getting himself sacked...

ok, having said that, i was waiting for the rejoinder of that "a cop, a lawyer, a doctor, and a former chef walked into a ramen bar...":p

20. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

Jo, I can guess who the other three are, but who's the 'cop'?

greta87 likes this.