AppleCare

Discussion in 'Apple Accessories & Peripherals' started by jpt822, Sep 4, 2012.

1. dingasaur

dingasaur Member

^ Thank you! I better get to it then, I have less than a month left

2. rflores

rflores Well-Known Member

my 2 years and 1 month old Mac showed a horizontal line... Good thing I had Apple Care. It is with BTB now, hoping they grant a repair/replacement of the display. I know it never encountered any physical abuse.

Sunil_K likes this.
  3. pael

pael Well-Known Member

not sure if it was asked before, but is Apple Care for iPhone applicable here in PH? I can't seem to find the option to buy Apple Care in the Apple Store for PH, so not sure if the Apple Service Centers here will honor it if I buy from US Apple Store for example.

4. pochiman

pochiman PhilMUG Addict Member

if my memory serves me right, (and feel free to correct me please) as iPhone warranties are country specific, (from where you purchased it) getting AppleCare from the US (and i believe you have to get your phone and the APP at the same time - like from an actual Apple store or via ordering it online from the US store.apple.com) you can get a 2 year max coverage on said US issued iPhone and you'd have to ship it to the US should you need to have it fixed as covered by your 2 year warranty.

as we do not have an actual Apple store locally, we are at the mercy of having to surrender said iPhones to either Smart or Globe (if you obtained it through them) or to the reseller from where you purchased your factory unlocked iPhone from (ex. BTB, PMC, Switch, AShop, etc.)

honestly, if you got your iPhone locally, forget AppleCare. simply consult with our fellow amigo, @ll_esquivias for repair purposes soon as your one year warranty expires.

#144 pochiman, Dec 2, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
    penmanila likes this.
  5. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

That's good advice. I've purchased my unlocked iPhones from the US, always with APP, but thankfully I've never had to get them repaired. For after-warranty repairs I just go to Burn in Greenhills.

6. caffelatte

caffelatte Active Member

i was trying to buy apple care online and need to select region/country. PH is not in the list - will it be ok if US is selected? for macbook pro 2015.

7. Qin Zhi

Qin Zhi Well-Known Member

It should work. While I haven't bought AppleCare for my 2016 MBP yet, back in 2010 I did about the same thing for my 2009 MBP. I bought that 2009 MBP in China, but bought AppleCare when I was there in the Ph--it worked just fine.

Having said that, if you're not that much in a hurry, try inquiring with Beyond the Box if they will give you a PhilMUG discount on AppleCare, as you might get it cheaper that way. Note that if you're availing of that PhilMUG discount from them, you have to request for a discount coupon first. Details here.

8. caffelatte

caffelatte Active Member

^ ay oo nga thanks! meron nga sila pala promo! :) thanks!

ay wait.. was planning to buy sana via online. let say i go for it online, is it ok na US ang country na choose ko?

9. Qin Zhi

Quick answer: it will work--but you need a US address to receive your AppleCare Protection Plan.

No problem if you select US per se--you can use it on your Mac regardless of where you bought it, as Macs have international warranty coverage (which includes AppleCare).

Note, however, that you need a US address--Apple will physically ship the AppleCare Protection Plan kit containing your registration to that address. See screenshot I took below:
    Screen Shot 2017-05-13 at 9.29.32 PM.png

This won't be an issue if you're presently based in the US or have relatives there that can receive it for you and relay to you your AppleCare registration no.

If such is not the case, then your best option is to buy AppleCare from an Apple authorized dealer nearest you (or BTB if they'd give you a PhilMUG discount and you're not in a hurry).

#149 Qin Zhi, May 13, 2017
    Last edited: May 13, 2017
  10. caffelatte

caffelatte Active Member

ah i see. thanks again for the input. i'm considering both - online and local purchase. :)

11. Qin Zhi

Go for whichever is most convenient for you. (y)

But do inquire from local dealers how much they sell it there and do inquire of that PhilMUG discount from BTB. For all you know you can get a good deal. While I have no idea how much they sell AppleCare in the Ph, one thing I'm sure of is that the US price for the AppleCare coverage of a 13" MBP, which is US$249 (about Php 12,365), is not the cheapest, as that same AppleCare sells for a regular price of ¥1,688 (about Php 12,155) here in China and is therefore cheaper by about Php 200. So if you're not in a hurry, see if you can get a good deal from any of the local dealers. :)

12. caffelatte

caffelatte Active Member

yup, i will. just so happen working from home most of the time so mabilis nako mainis sa traffic :) but yeah will inquire. thanks again for the tip!

local price is 12.5k btw.

13. Qin Zhi

I agree--unless the discount is truly substantial, it's not worth getting stuck in that crazy traffic there. Totally agree. (y)

caffelatte likes this.
  14. warmgreentea

warmgreentea PhilMUG Addict Member

How much does an AppleCare for Macbook Pro 13"/Macbook Air go these days? Any leads where to find the best bargain for these? :)

15. Rscb

Rscb Member

Has anyone tried claiming AppleCare+ Accidental Damage in our local accredited service providers?

Accidentally cracked my iPad Pro's screen which is still covered until February 2018.

Understand Apple has expanded the AppleCare+ claims internationally few years back, but I wanted to check if there are actual success stories or refusal of service within the community?

TIA. :)

16. Rscb

Rscb Member

For reference, will share my experience on my question above.

PowerMac advised they do not support AppleCare+. Luckily my parents went to the US this month and had the iPad Pro straight forward in Apple Store.

Thanks

17. nivraarvin

nivraarvin Member

My MBPr AppleCare+ is about to expire this September. My screen sometimes show horizontal lines for about 1-2 seconds, then they go away. I has happened maybe less than 10 times from 2014 till now. The 1st time it happened, I contacted Apple Support immediately. They said it "might" be the logic board. That's also the time I decided to get the extended warranty just in case something happens.

Now, the issue does not really bother me. It has not also affected the performance of my MBPr. Im wondering if I should let Apple replace my logic board. I'm a bit hesitant because the last time I got a replacement/refurbished item from Apple(iPhone's screen was yellowish and was replaced), it went kaput in less than a year.

18. ronjet

ronjet PhilMUG Addict Member

Suggest you better let them check your mbpr and use your applecare if needed. Sayang naman si Applecare+.

nivraarvin likes this.
  19. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

that problem will not go away and can only get worse. have it checked and replaced, if necessary. you'll be sorry a few months from now if you don't.

nivraarvin likes this.
  20. ramil

ramil Active Member

I'm planning to get an AppleCare+ for my 13" MBP. How and where can I buy the AppleCare+ here in Manila?