AppleCare

Discussion in 'Apple Accessories & Peripherals' started by jpt822, Sep 4, 2012.

1. jpt822

jpt822 Member

I'm thinking of getting AppleCare for my Mac mini as my one year is a couple of months away.

I use my mini mostly for gaming so it does get hot.

My experience with a PC is that what usually breaks are - motherboard, video card, hard drive.

Since the mini has an integrated video card, it'll go with the motherboard.

Anyway, does AppleCare cover all parts? Outright replacement?

Looking at the site, it looks like the warranty covers everything.
    AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac mini - Apple Store (Philippines)

Any feedback on service?

Thanks!

2. fteoOpty64

fteoOpty64 Member

Go for it!. AppleCare is just superb. Especially when the device gets hot under use. Anything covered by warranty will be replaced without question including the whole thing if they deemed necessary. The unfortunate thing for many is that things tend to break when the Applecare runs out. So another 2 years of "comprehensive insurance" is worth the price. When it expires, sell the box and get a new one.

Note: Any Apple reseller will honour that warranty very happily. Remember Apple pays them to process the warranty claims, so it is business for them!.

3. jpt822

jpt822 Member

oh, so everything is covered. that's great, thank you!

4. sbuckspodium

sbuckspodium Member

I would only get AppleCare for the mini if it has an optical drive which tends to be the first to have problems.

Haven't heard any significant problems with it locally.

I'd just advise putting the money aside for your future upgrade instead.

To answer your question, yes AppleCare takes care of everything no need to pay one cent. They just change the parts whenever applicable and only change the whole unit with another one if it's more economical for them. Of course if your unit looks abused as with any item they may not honor the warranty.

5. padoods

padoods Member

I think one question is do you see yourself hanging on to the mac mini for 3 years? Judging from my own experience 2 years is the max I keep one gadget before I get the itch to replace it. If you're the same then it might not be worth it to get Apple Care.

6. jpt822

jpt822 Member

thank you for the feedbacks. its just that my mini froze in game for the first time and needed to do a hard reset. i thought of extended warranty immediately.

7. the_beams

the_beams Member

I need to get me one of those. my macbook pro's a year old and i failed to get one. applecare is first on my christmas list. i'll try not to do the same mistake again to my imac. thanks for the info.

8. marjoejoejoe

marjoejoejoe Member

i'd go for the apple care, for my old macbook, ive had the battery replaced (it bloated), internals cleaned when i requested a heat sink change, plus fan replacement because i just felt like i wanted to...and they did it all...the service parts and labor i had accumulated was well over how much i paid for apple care.

oh and to add to that, i did it all 1 month before apple care expired

9. indygo

indygo Member

Applecare is really worth it. I know someone who's 2009 MBP was replaced with a 2011 MBP by Apple...that's actually a free upgrade for the price of only an Applecare.

10. bugs

bugs PhilMUG Addict Member

sorry but you need to purchase & enroll applecare BEFORE the 1st year expires.

11. VicB

VicB Well-Known Member

If you consider how much you spent for your unit & if it's really important that your unit gets to be up after a problem, extended AppleCare is the way to go. I think only my iPod is without extended Apple care. All my other Apple units have it.

12. Jsnc

Jsnc Active Member

Is there a time limit that I have to use AppleCare after buying it? Like have to register AppleCare after a year or 6 months after buying?

13. memphis

memphis Well-Known Member

^you can install it anytime and as long as before your 1 year standard warranty expires.

14. Jsnc

Jsnc Active Member

What about AppleCare mismo? I have BTB discount for AppleCare from sir Charlie and my MBP has AppleCare already. I was thinking of getting one for a future MPB purchase. Sort of like a spare.

15. akosiGRAM

akosiGRAM Member

Wow how did you get the btb applecare discount? I'm getting a mba 13 next week from btb and im planning to get an applecare :)

16. comixster

comixster Member

I have the same question. I'm thinking of buying an apple care for a future mac purchase. Is that possible?

17. suchtambay

suchtambay Member

I think it's possible as long as it is not for a different iteration. AFAIK - buy apple care for MBP 13" ( with no retina) for a future MBP 13" (with no retina). I think the retina units have different AppleCare pricing. I maybe wrong though.

18. Jsnc

Jsnc Active Member

The AppleCare discount voucher came with the privilege card. Was lucky to be able to get one.

From what I gather in apple store, you can use the same AppleCare on both retina and non retina as long as it is the same size. 15" or 13".

19. DarkHalf

DarkHalf Active Member

You can buy Applecare anytime. Just make sure to register it BEFORE your 1 yr warranty expires.

Also, as far as I can see from the Apple website, there is only a single type of Applecare for retina and non-retina models. So just get the correct one:

Applecare for Macbook/Macbook Air/Macbook Pro 13
    Applecare for Macbook Pro 15" and 17"
    Applecare for iMac
    etc

:)

You can always use your BTB voucher and sell the Applecare later on if you decide to change macbook models. Just make sure it's sealed-in-box (don't open it!), and you won't have any trouble selling it off later.

20. comixster

comixster Member

Thanks for the helpful insights.