Apple TV optical audio question

Discussion in 'Apple TV' started by Adel, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Adel

Adel Moderator
    Staff Member

I've recently taken to using the optical audio out on my Apple TV, and connected it via Toslink directly to a standalone powered speaker.

I get great audio output from it, but when I go back to my iMac, the iMac is suddenly dead silent. It doesn't have any audio to speak of because the sound output of the iMac has changed. No matter what I do, I get no sound—whether I play a song on iTunes, play a video on VLC, anything. Heck, even the system notification sounds are gone.

After puzzling it out for a while, I found out that I have to go to System Prefs and reset the audio output of the iMac back to the built-in speakers before I can hear anything again.

Why does it do this? I don't touch the audio out settings of my iMac. I just connected my Apple TV (which is connected to my iMac via wifi) to my speaker via a Toslink connection. Yet it does this every time.

I don't really mind resetting the sound prefs every time. Nope... I do. It's damned irritating.

Is it a quirk on my system? A bug? Or does it really do this?

Any help would be appreciated.