Apple TV and Netflix in the Philippines?

Discussion in 'Apple TV' started by helloluis, Dec 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. helloluis

helloluis New Member

So I've been trying to figure out if there's any way to get my Apple TV to use Netflix, given that I've already got a Netflix account. I kinda assumed that the app would just show up on the ATV interface, but it's not there. (I live in the Philippines btw.)

I could try setting up a VPN so that my AppleTV appears as if its IP address is in the US, but I'm not sure if that alone would solve the problem. Has anyone tried to do something like this before?

2. ikitub

ikitub Active Member

VPN is the way bro.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

3. empty

empty Active Member

I use unblock-US.com. On my ATV 2 Netflix has always been an option even before i set up an unblock-US account. Maybe it's because my iTunes account is a USA account.

4. powerseller

powerseller Member

You can easily buy Netflix gift card online. Also I believe Netflix accepts local credit card (not strict as Hulu Plus). They only checks IP address. So you will have to use a proxy

5. joms

joms Member

What ISP are you guys using? Are the ISPs here in the Philippines good enough for us to be able to use netflix, Hulu and such?

Live streaming ba? or baka naman you need to wait an hour to be able to download the content.

I'm using PLDT MyDSL 5MBPS but im not sure if this can do live streaming (netflix/etc).

6. kinse_44

kinse_44 Well-Known Member

I have a 3mbps internet connection and Netflix & Hulu run smoothly. I cant achieve HD quality streams though. Btw, i'm using unblock-us.

7. Venet

Venet Member

8. dudeaze

dudeaze New Member

Hi there. I also wanted to stream netflix here. Correct me if im wrong, if i have an account with for example unblock-us for 5 dollars then i can always sign up and subscribe for netflix right? even if im here in the philippines?

Im trying to check if i got this right. lol. ;)

9. retsckor

retsckor Member

im not sure if the Apple Tv has settings for VPN... but YES you can stream netflix...i am streaming it on my PC at home using VPN.. i use strong VPN... a friend of my told me that ESPN 3 can also be streamed here! you just have specifically use ASTRIL as your VPN provider.. i will try this after my strong VPN subscription expires.

=)

10. powerseller

powerseller Member

Many things can be streamed (listened as well) outside USA. I have tested successfully for Netflix, Hulu Plus, Spotify, Amazon Instant Video, Vudu, Roku (US channels), Rhapsody...

Currently testing Pandora, HBO GO, Aereo TV

11. imperialv

imperialv Member

How do set up the vpn?

Sent from my GT-P6200 using Tapatalk

12. powerseller

powerseller Member

Yes you can if Netflix accepts your credit card. Otherwise just buy a US prepaid card that works for Netflix.
    You can Google to find one, or pm me to get a link

Hope this helps

13. joemoso

joemoso Active Member

Yes how do I set-up VPN? Got my Apple TV.

14. arjaysalting

arjaysalting Member

Go to playmo.tv for instruction.

15. powerseller

powerseller Member

+1 I recommend playmo.tv on my websites since they are friendly and reasonable. They just start the business so you will have a good customer service in my opinion

16. macbookproi5

macbookproi5 Member

I don't know about netflix working in the Philippines. Normally a site such as netflix would be able to detect if the IP Address that you're using is from the US or somewhere else. In that case netflix won't work. I asked my friend to try and use hulu from Singapore. It seems that she's not able to watch any shows from hulu.com

17. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

That's why you need to use a service like Unblock-US.com or Playmo.tv to make the services think that you're actually in the US.

18. jcduke

jcduke Member

enjoying netflix now with my 1month free subscription using local credit card..just input a US zip code. matched it with VPN express app... still trying if its worth to pay after a month... so far so good with personal hotspot from globe iphone data to my ipad..

19. joms

joms Member

How many devices may you use while you are logged in with netflix? I understand that before, it was like 3-5 or unlimited streams but now did they make it only to 1 stream?

Say, I'd like to watch movie A in my TV and my friend wants to watch movie B in his laptop (while both of us are in my house). Is this possible?

Or can there only be 1 stream now at a time per account?

Also, can a 3MBPS PLDT line handle 1 stream only? or can it do 2+ ? (are streams of netflix HD?)

Lastly, would you get the applyTV to play netflix or buy boxee/roku/popcornhour?

#19 joms, Jul 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  20. riderandy

riderandy Member

I'm on my third week of my free 1-month trial for Netflix, and I use unblock-us as vpn. So far so good (I'm using Globe Tattoo only and surprisingly there are few lags, though quality is not very good). I was able to browse the catalog, and add items to my Instant Queue, on my iPad and Apple TV at the same time; I can't remember if I tried streaming at the same time though (since I don't have a very reliable internet connection) but I guess it's possible.

There are SD and HD content in Netflix, as noted in the descriptions of each show/movie. I don't think one-stream policy is dependent on the ISP, rather than it is dependent on your internet speed (and Netflix restrictions, but as I said I don't think there's such). Your 3Mbps should be able to handle multiple streams but definitely quality will suffer.

I might continue with my Netflix subscription until I get a decent DSL. If the quality of the stream got better, it will be for keeps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.