Apple TV 1st gen questions

Discussion in 'Apple TV' started by lokster, Aug 20, 2014.

1. lokster

lokster Member

Hey guys my friend is selling his apple TV 1st gen 40gb for 2k, is that a good deal? i just want something to stream my videos onto the TV. thats pretty much it. I like the first gen because I'm thinking about using the Hard drive to store movies and videos, there are hacks to allow an external HDD for storage, I'm planning to add a 1tb to it.

is it worth it?

2. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

The old Apple TV doesn't have Airplay. If hacking is your thing, look for a 2nd gen AppleTV. You can also connect an external drive and have Airplay working too, as well as many other things.

Leo

3. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mmm.....I'm a traditionalist. I still prefer to use the Apple TV to play content out of iTunes. It is the best-use case for the device (simplicity of use is the prime virtue; no need to go through hoops of hacks and workarounds). Given that the first-gen ATV is out-of-warranty and the availability of brand-new alternative devices near that price point, I question the wisdom of plunking down PHP2000.00 of your disposable income on a first-gen ATV if it were to be used merely as a vehicle to play content outside of iTunes. It is a no-go.

4. lokster

lokster Member

Many thanks for the input :) i was going to look into it as a sort of media drive where i could install Mac OS leopard on the external and download some TV shows over iTunes, and maybe do some torrenting, but now that you mention using the 2nd gen ATV to do airplay and have the option to use an external drive I'm now thinking very hard haha.

5. brayan

brayan Member

Hi guys, I'm just here to share that 2 out of my 3 appletv is finally dead beyond any of my skill to repair. I'm sad but also happy that finally i can fully move on to a more recent apple ecosystem.

:D