Apple Throttles iPhone with Old Batteries

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPod Touch' started by suavecito, Dec 21, 2017.

1. nomyaz05

nomyaz05 New Member

Left my phone at PowerMac MOA today.
    1500 - battery replacement all inclusive after Level 1 diagnostics is completed and shows battery is "consumed".
    However if Level 2 diagnostics (1-2 days) shows may hardware prob aside sa battery you have to pay automatic charge na 1500 diagnostic fee then you can opt to have your unit replaced (how much - i have no idea) they won't change the battery if there are other problems sa phone.
    3-4 weeks na ang TAT. Count starts after the Level 2 diagnostics is finished, if battery lang ang problem you have to go back and pay 50% of the 1500 fee.

whapakk likes this.
  2. p.pipster

p.pipster Well-Known Member

Chraist... this is turning out to be more hassle than just a simple matter of replacing the damn battery.

3. magnus

magnus Active Member

That's true. And Diagnostic should be free.

4. whapakk

whapakk New Member

I think it's up to the customer to decide if he/she just wants the battery to be replaced regardless if there are other hardware issues found.
    We will just be there to have our batteries replaced and nothing else. IMO

5. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 Well-Known Member

With how the internal components mesh with each other a defective component other than a battery may be blamed to the service center when they replace it and gets totally broken on replacement. That’s the risk they get.

6. pinoyslinger

pinoyslinger Active Member

I am going to Taipei in two weeks. I hope Apple Taiwan will replace my iPhone 6s plus' battery. I read in another forum that it will only take 1-2 hours for them to replace it. I hope. :)

7. isaak

isaak Member

I'm going to Japan in March. Will they replace my iphone 6s' battery there, no questions asked? Would they be needing any docs, or anything? TIA

suavecito likes this.
  8. suavecito

suavecito PhilMUG Addict Member

Ill also be in Tokyo this march. Ill also have my wifey's 6s batt change there. Im curious also if i need to bring docs or receipts. Cheers!

9. p.pipster

p.pipster Well-Known Member

AE56A8B6-1D4E-41E6-B0AD-E570569E3ED0.png Looks like ok pa naman my battery.

10. neldeles

neldeles Active Member

Will using the Apple Smart Battery case (or to the same effect keeping the phone perma plugged to a powerbank) prevent the throttling? Will be heading to the states this week and am deciding if I should: avail of the battery replacement, purchase the smart battery case, or do both. I'm on an iPhone 7. Haven't really noticed any slowdowns but my battery life is abysmal. I go from 100% to 35% in 4 hours. (no games, this is just telegram, calls, emails, a bit of browsing)

11. oldtimer

oldtimer Active Member

I doubt if the Apple Smart battery will help with the throttling.

IN most cases, a full reset of the phone does wonders and improves battery life. Most notorious battery charge draining apps are Chrome and all Facebook apps. Try to remove them and see how it goes.

12. magnus

magnus Active Member

13. paenguin

paenguin Member

So where would bw the best place to go? Powermac, BTB or switch?

14. littlewingz08

littlewingz08 Active Member

wait so that means I cant have my iPhone 6 battery replaced since I had it changed last year from a third party in Greenhills? I was having the symptoms that Apple were pertaining...the (frequent) random shutdown and the noticable decrease in performance. I was compelled to upgrade because of these, but I changed the battery of my iP6 since ill be handing it down to my brother and the issue of throttling wasn't known yet then.

just wanna confirm, because my brother wants to have his battery replaced under Apple's replacement program.

15. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 Well-Known Member

Best to ask the service center on what’s Apple policy. Or you may call Apple’s Customer Service numbere here in Asia

16. nwinter

nwinter Member

Just got the service quotation from Power Mac after their diagnostic test which lasted a few days. I can confirm that you only need to pay 1,500 for the battery replacement. No additional charge for the diagnostic test.

When I left my iPhone 6 Plus with them last week, they actually told me that they will only charge for the diagnostic test if they found additional problems with the unit.

Also, for iPhone 6 Plus owners, there’s special pricing if the unit has a bloated battery. Apple will replace the entire unit for only 2,170 pesos (if I remember it right), which is a very good deal. If the battery is not bloated, the standard 1,500 price will apply and only the battery will be replaced.

17. paenguin

paenguin Member

This looks promising. I'll check in with PowerMac. But there's a 2-3 week TAT?

18. duncan

duncan Well-Known Member

So even if they found something wrong with the iphone, they will still not charge diagnostic fee? Will they decline to change the battery?

19. natstuff

natstuff Member

My mom’s iPhone 6s is part of those that can get the free battery replacement from this program:

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone6s-unexpectedshutdown/

Although she didn’t experience any unexpected shutdown, she went to the Apple store in Houston and they told her battery stock will arrive in 2-3 weeks and she’ll get a call when she can come back for the battery replacement, if they find other damage to her iPhone she can opt to get a new one for 299$ otherwise they will refuse to replace the battery. There is no diagnostic charge, they either replace the battery for free or offer a phone replacement for 299$.

So I wonder why PH apple service centres are charging a diagnostic fee..

20. nwinter

nwinter Member

Actually, for iPhone 6 Plus, the estimate wait time is 2-3 months. Seems there’s a battery shortage for this model. Power Mac received a memo from Apple informing them that battery supply will only arrive March/April.