Apple Music vs Spotify vs Other Music Streaming Services

Discussion in 'Apple Music' started by Bemhr, Feb 27, 2016.

?

Which one do you use right now?

1. Apple Music

18.3%
  2. Spotify

81.7%
  1. madmax168

madmax168 Active Member

Spotify is way cheaper than Apple Music and Spotify is faster to include newer songs (well for the songs I'm looking for that is) than Apple Music. Also Spotify works well with non Apple devices too

2. nurse_corrupted

On 3 month trial for Apple Music. I just want iTunes to manage all my music. Will assess once trial is over. On a family plan by the way.

3. fcdiesta

fcdiesta Well-Known Member

For me, Apple Music always stops playing midway through a track that I downloaded directly from iTunes (not an iTunes Matched song). And I have trouble making it start playing again. I know my data connection is not the culprit since Spotify never stops like that for me. I don't want to be fiddling with my phone just to be able to enjoy music, so it's Spotify for me, hands down.

4. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

I just did an A/B comparison between Spotify Premium and Tidal. No contest in sound quality—Tidal wins.

But for the money (P129/month), Spotify remains a no-brainer. Tidal makes better sense for those with hi-fi/head-fi gear, and sufficient bandwidth. Tidal's monthly subscription ($19.99) is more expensive than Spotify, but "nothing" compared to what some spend on new vinyl records ($15-$40 per album) or their "sound systems".

I stopped using Apple Music because iTunes is a mess. And there's little point for me to synchronize my offline and Purchased library because Tidal has them all, and in better quality. Purchased iTunes music were, at best, 240kbps AACs, not redbook (CD) quality.

And for those who stepped up to Tidal, check out Roon—it's everything the iTunes desktop app should've been, not the sucky UX bloatware it is today.

FWIW, Tidal only requires that the subscription be made in a country where Tidal is available. After that, Tidal can be heard anywhere, without VPN—that's my experience, anyway.

MFD888 likes this.
  5. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

Just switched to Apple Music (from Spotify) over the weekend...

My wife and daughter loves it over Spotify...

According to my daughter, Spotify has a poor library of K-Pop and Local (Singaporean) artists. Plus Taylor Swift is missing.

Wife just loves the available playlists of Apple Music compared to Spotify.

Both their devices used my Apple ID, it was a pain switching from my ID to their specific IDs!

From an Android user's point of view, Apple Music doesn't allow me to play Pokemon Go while listening to music (I can do this with Google Play Music)

Once Pokemon Go runs, music will stop (notmal) but I can hit play again at the notification panel.

With Apple Music, once the music stops, I will also loose it from the notification panel.

6. rdy0329

rdy0329 Well-Known Member

AM has improved a lot! I initially got the 3-month trial back when it was launched and did not like the iOS9 interface. Now I LOVE their curated playlist.

Family members also had the same thought as @ice's wife and daugther, more K-POP and Taylor swift (LOL).

I also appreciate that AM is trying to push international acts better than Spotify does to the point of even including them in Top Hits playlist(s).

7. john edward

john edward Member

Been on Spotify for a long time. But after hearing better quality from a.music I'm thinking of switching. Details are just there!

How much are both now? I don't even know how much I'm paying Spotify.

8. macjobber

macjobber Active Member

Once you've heard the same album from both Apple Music and Spotify, you will really the big difference in terms of audio quality.

9. mree

mree Active Member

I just switched to Apple Music. There's no other reason aside from me wanting to just use Apple services. So far, so good. Back when I still had the trial, I found the interface confusing, but now that I've been using it for a week, I prefer it now more than Spotify. Favorite part is the radio stations that they have preset. I get good recommendations from those stations.

10. alanis_junkie

alanis_junkie Well-Known Member

Pandora! it chooses better songs than my spotify premium. can’t switch to pandora premium coz I have “dependents” on my family account in spotify. but i find myself using pandora more and more (and im just using a pandora free account!)

Haven’t tried Apple Music..but might give the free trial a go.

11. textguru

textguru Member

I agree... subscribed to Spotify Family, my wife and kids have their own playlist... for their Apple and Android OS.

12. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

You have the option to change the Music Quality in Spotify. There's normal, high & extreme. The latter is almost CD quality, all are compressed formats (Ogg Vorbis) while Apple Music has the fixed 256kbps AAC format which is also a compressed format but almost CD quality like.

not sure if the average listener can distinguish which sounds better at this point especially if one is just listening to the app in the office or inside a moving car.

I have to admit AM seems to have the bigger library.. but at 10$ per month, still too much & I still prefer Spotify's simpler user interface. I still download stuff from iTunes so I guess that's my compromise for now. :)

13. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm..tidal hifi for me all the way. Streams to all my devices, from smartphones and car audio for casual listening to music servers (Cocktail Audio X40) for more serious listening sessions. Mainstream users do not need it but if you are invested in quality audio equipment, be it speakers or headphones, the service is dirt-cheap (usd 20.00 per month) and a no-brainer. I used to buy 2 to 3 CDs a month at usd 10 to 19 a pop. Now, what the hell for?