Apple CarPlay

Discussion in 'iPad, iPhone, iPod touch and Apple Watch' started by ice, Mar 3, 2014.

1. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 Well-Known Member

I've bought several car accessories from them and had no issues - with dealings and installations.

2. MaLt-

MaLt- Member

thanks sir!

3. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member

^Hey gaol, thanks! Being a PinoyDVD veteran, you sure know your stuff. :D

By the way, there are 'pure' Android headunits out there like the Growl audio. It's like having an Android tablet as your headunit and I see a lot of these at Aliexpress. On paper, they seem to have it all, including GPS and Internet connectivity (well, via hotspot). You can also install Torque and monitor your car's ECU via a Bluetooth OBDII module.

I'm just curious about the overall user experience, which I already know of with name-brands like Alpine and Pioneer, which are really excellent. I've heard of a 30 second boot up time for these 'China' Android headunits and I don't want to put up with that and end up being frustrated most of the time.

By the way, has anyone used an HDMI to Lightning adapter with the 8850? I saw some videos that enabled you to mirror your iPhone, but only on the US version Pioneers (NEX series)

gaol likes this.
  4. MaLt-

MaLt- Member

Really finding it hard to look for headunits that support carplay. Only option is Pioneer's and the price is a bit steep.. 30k...

5. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

6. teachertwish

teachertwish Member

I’m looking at Sony XAV-AX100 priced at P22K on Amazon (plus P2K shipping ℅ Shipping Cart). Are these US aftermarket CarPlay head units compatible with cars here? No problems with power and all that?

Sorry, I’m ignorant about car stereo power sources. Gadgets normally have voltages, so I’m cautious about this gadget. :D

7. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

^voltage won't be an issue all small vehicles use 12 volts.

teachertwish likes this.
  8. yoh_hectic

yoh_hectic Well-Known Member

Have you made local comparisons with the Pioneer CarPlay head untis?

9. teachertwish

teachertwish Member

I haven't checked Pioneer since my last head unit is a Sony. Bias lang. And this particular one is cheap.
    Do you recommend Pioneer? Are they readily available here in the PH?

10. gaol

gaol Well-Known Member

Yes, Pioneer head units are readily available here, especially in car audio shops. The one with CarPlay (and Android Auto) will set you back around P30K.

11. yoh_hectic

And they will install it for you.

12. teachertwish

teachertwish Member

Thanks for this! The Sony XAV-AX100 I am looking at will only cost my P24K-ish with shipping through Shipping Cart. I'll probably just shell out P1K for installation. I'll still be saving a good P5K for this.

I'm just wondering if there are "electrical power" issues for head units bought in the U.S.? Are there compatibility issues with PH cars?

13. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member

None really, there are just some extra features like Sirius XM radio that won’t work here in the PH

teachertwish likes this.
  14. ramil

ramil Active Member

Does Waze work with Apple CarPlay?

I have read articles saying it does not. Just wanted to confirm and hopefully find ways to make it work. We all know how valuable Waze is here in Manila. :)

15. yoh_hectic

Nope. Apple feels that Apple Maps is a superior solution.

16. marvinp

marvinp Member

The newer Pioneer head units (2850bt, 5850bt, 295BT, 595BT, 2050bt, 5050bt ) support AppRadio mode. You just need a lightning cable connected to the USB port of the head unit and Waze will be displayed on the screen after you open it on your iPhone.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/AppRadioOne

I'm looking to purchase the 595bt (7" screen, P18,500) since the 2018 model, 5050bt is around P28,000 locally.

17. gaol

gaol Well-Known Member

You will not have CarPlay and its features though.

AppRadio is a good workaround if the only objective is to have Waze on the head unit's screen.

What I did before is to have CarPlay running on the head unit, while Waze is displayed on the iPhone--not sure if this is still allowed by CarPlay (Android Auto renders the phone display inactive). Very clunky workaround, and you still don't enjoy the benefit of the bigger screen for Waze.

18. pctan1584

pctan1584 Well-Known Member

No waze on carplay