Airports Thread (NAIA, Clark, etc.)

Discussion in 'Travel' started by rbenzon, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Leeger

Leeger Well-Known Member

Annoying lang na I have to get my phone and show it to them. It can also save some paper cause a lot of us still print those tickets. But speaking of kamaganak, kaibigan, etc sa mga airports natin. Is there a way to discourage na isang baranggay ang susundo sa airport? Seriously, parang palengke ang arrivals area sa sobrang daming tao minsan.

2. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...not gonna' happen.

Personally, I still prefer paper tickets. Problem with digital is what happens if your smartphone suddenly dies on you? Saan ka maghahanap ng internet shop para ma retrieve mo yun airline ticket/hotel bookings/theme park ticket etc.?

Hassle lang, di ba?

3. Leeger

Leeger Well-Known Member

For airline tickets i just present my passport or id and they will print your boarding pass if you need it. Same thing goes for hotel bookings. So not an issue even if you don’t have your phone with you.

4. raypin

Mm...yeah but hindi ka pa rin papapasukin ni manong guard kasi wala kang ticket. Lol! Eh nasira phone mo on the way to Naia. Paano yun? No ticket, no entry. Lol!

5. Leeger

Leeger Well-Known Member

Kaya nga I kinda hate them. Hahaha. But I don’t think no ticket no entry is a NAIA policy, you can easily talk your way in. Most the time now when they ask I just tell them my flight and they will not ask for a copy of the ticket. I think the reason they are checking is primarily to ensure you are at the right terminal rather than for security reasons. On a different note, we should also add more self check in kiosk and baggage drop off counters. The less human interaction the better.

6. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

Those e-gates are a dream when passing through immigrations. The machine does all the work of validating your passport, which would be unbiased and based solely on data in the system. I hope it works as intended in our airports. I remember being blown away when I first experienced going through one back in late 2016, departing Sydney airport for Manila.

I also make it a point to print outt airline tickets and boarding passes, just so I have something to show to anyone who asks for it, and avoid having to bring out my phone unnecessarily.

As for self check-in kiosks, I find it a bit double-handling, at least in airports where I've used it -- mostly here in Sydney. I've already checked in online, and have a digital copy of my boarding pass. Then I go to the airport self check-in kiosk to scan the digital boarding pass in order to get a printed one, as well as tags for my check-in luggage. And then I still have to go to the check-in counter where I show the printed boarding pass, my passport, as well as a printout of my e-ticket/itinerary.

Maybe it wasn't supposed to be like that because I remember one time I just drop off my bag with the tags in an area right beside the self check-in kiosk then go straight to the gates. I guess they added an extra step as a security measure ever since Sydney airport experienced some suspected terrorist attempts.

7. tonedeaf

tonedeaf Active Member

I think we just need to have a bigger arrival area and parking, more reflective of our culture. In our international airports kasi in Manila, there is none (except for T3). The arrival "areas" in T1, T2 are actually already outside the airport. Halos parang sa sidewalk na.

8. raypin

Mm...actually I am confused. There are so many competing proposals now that the public seems unsure what to expect.

1. Build a new airport in Bulacan
    2. Build and improve NAIA system
    3. Build in Sangley Point
    4. Maintain the two airport system (NAIA and Clark).

When is the government settling this issue?

9. Leeger

Leeger Well-Known Member

Given a choice I would rather close down NAIA and just turn it into some sort of a tourist destination (theme park, water park, etc) and build a new airport somewhere north with an efficient and fast airport express train and an express way. Having our airport within metro manila just adds to the our already bad traffic.

raypin and Mykolant like this.
  10. bugs

bugs PhilMUG Addict Member

8C7CFD82-C852-4B66-942A-B63F5114D856.png 95078CB8-BB4D-4A08-BE34-81DABA5A348E.png 44D43644-CDDC-4797-A298-E7955317D43A.png

They are already building (or renovating?) the new Clark International Airport to be completed in 2019 to coincide with us hosting the SEA games I think. They are also building a new Clark city there. Maybe if there are plans to build a transit system, this could now be our main airport.

raypin and Mykolant like this.
  11. p.pipster

p.pipster Well-Known Member

If only we live in architectural perspectives...

pandecoco likes this.
  12. Mykolant

How is Terminal 1 Arrival area now? Will be coming in through that port of entry next month and I want to make sure I know what to expect upon arrival.

Also, any tips on which airport taxi service to hire going to Makati area?

13. Leeger

Leeger Well-Known Member

The only issue you might encounter is a long line at the inmigration counters, it really depends on how many officers are there. Worst i encountered is I lined up more than an hour for that.

Do not get an airport taxi rather book a Grab. You can book a premium one and it will still be cheper.

14. barre05

barre05 Well-Known Member

Or you can just get one of those fixed-fare vehicles at the arrival area. They have a fixed rate for a preset destination. Comes out about the same price as a Grab booking during rush hour. You get the benefit of riding a big car (Innova or HiAce) even if you're by yourself.

eag likes this.
  15. eag

eag Active Member

Barre05's suggestion also saves you from the hassles of:
    1. the airport taxi driver suddenly negotiating with you mid trip for a higher price (and threatening to dump you somewhere nasty if you don't agree)
    2. the risk of riding colorum/fake yellow airport taxis who will definitely rip you off
    3. waiting forever in a looong taxi line while wishing uber was still available

Sunil_K likes this.
  16. Ejaxene

Ejaxene Well-Known Member

@Mykolant might just be Sydney... When I leave NZ, I get to use online boarding passes, some airlines have no bag drop so I line up under "online checkins"... the only time I got new printed boarding passes was when I got upgraded to a different class... most of the time the airlines just scan the boarding pass on my Apple Wallet. Was actually surprised when I didn't get to do that in Sydney as I thought they'd be the same...

17. Mykolant

I'll have to expect the worst at the immigration line, I guess. Will keep Grab in mind. Haven't used it, I don't have an account.

This is what I was told. My Mom (who travels a lot in her retirement) always gets Nissan taxi service from the airport. She pays at the counter in the Terminal, and then they assign a vehicle and driver for her.

Agree with this. I got confused last time when we planned to just take the queue for a cab, but it was so long and ended up getting another cab for P1,200 to Makati.

Thanks for the input. Like I said, security has gotten strict at Sydney Int'l Airport due to the previous terrorist scare that occurred last year.

18. jetan

jetan PhilMUG Addict Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mactan Cebu Terminal 2 opens this Sunday JULY 1

raypin likes this.
  19. bugs

^^just to add, some more pics c/o budjiroyal:

1BE33C49-974E-42E9-8C88-40EB8B63ECC0.jpeg 0447EC7F-EDC7-4761-A937-08A00D46C9D9.jpeg 7CA0F4C3-3755-43B3-81DD-09D6FA17B50D.jpeg 252546DA-E33C-495A-9F5E-BF7DADB146D5.jpeg 8B53A6ED-547F-4803-99A4-DBA901779669.jpeg

Mykolant and jetan like this.
  20. bugs