2017 iMac Pro

Discussion in 'iMac' started by yoh_hectic, Nov 27, 2017.

1. yoh_hectic

yoh_hectic PhilMUG Addict Member

2. Edelheid

Edelheid Well-Known Member

YESSSSSSSS! I am beyond excited for Thursday!

They may start taking orders at 05:30 Pacific if the calendar attachment time is to be believed.

Screenshot@1x-105.png

#2 Edelheid, Dec 12, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  3. infiniteloop

infiniteloop Active Member

4. Edelheid

A real beauty. Two days never felt this long before.

…a Merry Christmas it’s going to be…

Some links of interest:
    It’s great to see Apple sending in early units to creatives.

The Loop’s takeaway:
    • Important to note that the new iMac Pro is not user upgradable. So if you are ordering, future proof best you can.
    • Marques priced out a home built PC using the iMac Pro parts (or similarly specced parts where the actual parts are not yet available) and came up with a price of $5100. Comparing that to the iMac Pro base price of $4999, my take is that the iMac Pro is fairly priced.
    • The fact that I cannot upgrade over time is an issue for me, though I suspect iFixit will eventually sell a kit to get me inside and 3rd parties will sell parts to upgrade. Eventually.
    • The iMac Pro is very quiet, runs cool. That’s impressive, given the high end workstation grade parts jammed in to that svelte enclosure.

#4 Edelheid, Dec 12, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    hitme64, Anmi, Sunil_K and 1 other person like this.
  5. yoh_hectic

My late 2012 27-inch iMac Core i7 is hitting it's 5th year on Feb. So should I buy this? :)

6. Edelheid

Panic’s (Coda 2, Transmit 5, etc.) very own Cabel Sasser also received an early unit. I love it, he provided answers to some of the questions I had in mind.

Cabel’s thread:

There are more pictures within his tweets.

⚠️ iMac Pro Alert! Apple (amazingly/unprecedentedly?) provided me with a loaner iMac Pro a few days ago to check out, and in turn, I'm very eager to share my notes with you. Here are six initial impressions in a thread:

① Design. This is obvious, but the space grey hardware looks super beautiful. (The Magic Mouse 2 finish even resembles the iPhone X back — really hard to photograph, so shiny, but maybe you can tell.)

cabel_2017-Dec-13-1.jpg

② Speed. We tried compiling one of our meatier Xcode projects on the iMac Pro (10-core Xeon W, 3 GHz) vs. our standard Mac Pro (3.5 GHz Xeon E5, 6-core). Sure, the Mac Pro is old, but the iMac Pro compiled the project 41% faster. A pretty sincere boost.

③ Games. Fired up the ol' Firewatch, to test the iMac Pro (Radeon Pro Vega 64) vs. my current Retina 5K iMac (Radeon R9 M295X). At 2560 × 1440, the iMac topped out at 25 FPS, the iMac Pro at 62 FPS (!).

④ New Chip. This seems big. The iMac Pro features new apple custom silicon: the T2 chip. It integrates previously discrete components, like the SMC, ISP for the camera, audio control, SSD control… plus a secure enclave, and a hardware encryption engine.

⑤ Security. This new chip means storage encryption keys pass from the secure enclave to the hardware encryption engine in-chip — your key never leaves the chip. And, they it allows for hardware verification of OS, kernel, boot loader, firmware, etc. (This can be disabled…)

cabel_2017-Dec-13.jpg

⑥ Lightning Cable. The included one is black — and even the fill around the pins is black. This detail is certainly the #1 reason to purchase the iMac Pro.

⑦ Cinebench. Someone asked for scores. Although scores only tell part of the speed story! iMac Pro: 135.47 fps / 2062 cb. (For comparison: iMac Retina 5K Late 2014: 101.87 fps / 778 cb — Old Mac Pro: 75.57 fps / 955 cb.)

If you need a new machine by then, why not? Otherwise, the 2018 modular Mac Pro might entice you even more if you don’t mind branching out from all-in-ones.

#6 Edelheid, Dec 13, 2017
    Juice, hitme64, Anmi and 1 other person like this.
  7. yoh_hectic

Upgrade-ability costs extra and I expect the Mac Pro without display to sell at the same price as the iMac Pro with bundled keyboard, mouse or trackpad.

A few quibbles about the industrial design of the iMac Pro's aesthetics.
    1. Not a 8K resolution display
    2. Not a 21:9 aspect ration display
    3. Not 32-inch
    4. Screen bezzel that is more than 1cm
    Computer upgrade cycle has lengthened from 2-3 years to more than 6 years.

I even toyed with swapping out my 1TB Fusion Drive that peaks at 305MB/s writes & 480MB/s reads for a RAID 0 2x1TB SSD that peaks at 1,00MB/s read/writes. Should last me up to the day macOS doesn't support this iMac anymore by early 2023.

#7 yoh_hectic, Dec 13, 2017
  8. Edelheid

Thought it’d be good to put that out there as to many even just the freedom to upgrade for a definite premium is still a price they’re willing to pay. Alas, it’s still another release to look forward to.

I don’t imagine the creatives that the iMac Pro caters to will eat up the default configuration only to regret it later because it cannot be upgraded. Sounds like the typical horror story, but that may very well be where the Mac Pro comes in.

9. Edelheid

Order page is up! 4TB costs £2,520. Wow.

And I believe the most important upgrade:

[​IMG]

It always feels like I’m getting robbed by the UK Store. But alas… no other choice unless I’m waiting until Q2.
    In-store pickup isn’t until January 9. :(

[​IMG]

hitme64, Anmi, Qin Zhi and 3 others like this.
  10. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Two kidneys are up!

Juice, gogetit, Sunil_K and 1 other person like this.
  11. yoh_hectic

iMac Pro has four Thunderbolt 3 ports that allows for external display, external GPU, external HDD/SSD & other external I/O. The only thing you couldnt do is change are the Intel chip and logic board.

And to keep warranty iMac Pro's RAM Can Only Be Upgraded by Apple or Authorized Service Provider.

hitme64 likes this.
  12. lamski

lamski Well-Known Member

A maxed-out iMac pro (without the wall bracket and apps) comes out at an affordable PHP 713,980 or roughly 1 bitcoin hahaha.

hitme64 and Qin Zhi like this.
  13. iAmMichael05

iAmMichael05 Member

I got the chance to play with an iMac Pro earlier and I must say that the Space Gray color is so beautiful esp. the keyboard and magic mouse.

I hope Apple would release the Space Gray Magic Mouse as a separate accessory to complement my Space Gray mbp. Haha.

14. lamski

lamski Well-Known Member

I saw an iMac Pro demo unit in Switch last weekend. The space grey keyboard and mouse is gorgeous can be yours for approximately 300K PHP. :D

A maxed out Asus Republic of Gamers gaming desktop with Nvidia 1080TI, 64GB RAM is also around 300K PHP.

15. Ejaxene

Ejaxene Well-Known Member

It’s so pretty.

E2356779-822F-441E-A0E1-794592A648B3.jpeg

lamski likes this.
  16. denzzurcaled

denzzurcaled Member

It's a good news that the space gray magic mouse and keyboard that comes with the iMac Pro are now being sold separately.

lamski likes this.
  17. yoh_hectic

So who on Philmug is using one already?