TV. The Future of Television (2015 model)

Discussion in 'Apple TV' started by johannes, Sep 10, 2015.

1. johannes

johannes PhilMUG Chairman
    Staff Member Chairman

This certainly makes me want to (finally) own an TV.

For me, it boils down to two things: the nifty remote and the apps.

The remote has touch capabilities, meaning you now just swipe and tap instead of clicking buttons when navigating.

It also has a Siri functionality so that you can ask Siri to search shows for you, suggest movies based on preferences, and to even ask what a character said in a scene.

To take things further, the remote also has an accelerometer and gyroscope, which makes it a game controller, as well!

TV also presents media from various sources like Netflix, hulu, iTunes (of course), et.al. in one screen. It can also give you access to date like stats and weather while watching a show. It can also do Picture in Picture.

And then there are the Apps. Aside from viewing movies/TV shows, looking at Photos, listening to music, you can now access various apps via your TV, including games.

http://www.apple.com/tv/

2. GilGrissom

GilGrissom Active Member

The limiting factor with streaming television however is broadband speed. The nifty remote, the amazing content, the sharp interface, everything will be for naught without a decent broadband connection that can handle HD streaming.

I was hoping for apple to change the game and leap frog Google fiber and release their own ISP and serve up HD video. Streaming is the future....especially for those 16GB iphones.

trigo, macdiver and hitme64 like this.
  3. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

^i also think that's what the Apple TV (now and before) is actually missing, broadband speed...with that kind of snail-pace speed here, you won't get to watch streaming vids in a jiffy, and would have to wait quite a while if you intend to download vids or apps for that matter...

4. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

Hey, TV has internal storage already (64 and 128Gb). What's it for? Can I store non-iTunes-sourced movies there?

Pupkin and Theus like this.
  5. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member

Haay '3rd world' issues my poor 8mbps connection.

6. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

Can it now play 4K videos?

Netflix is expected to be here in Singapore next year... And the new iPhone can now record 4K...

7. iJav

iJav Active Member

Probably for the apps and their data.

I hope Plex or Kodi come up with apps for the new Apple TV. :)

8. trigo

trigo Well-Known Member

i don't eve use my 3rd gen apple tv coz it is useless in our countries broadband speed.

Theus likes this.
  9. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member

^ we have 2nd & 3rd gen's at home. we can stream HULU TV shows seamlessly (well, 90% of the time & when kids are not online!). but for movies rented on iTunes, no joy. thru wifi / airplay parin from iMac.

10. piedad

piedad Well-Known Member

Biggest negative for me still is the lack of a USB port for external hard drive with movies. Is there an Airplay supporting external hard drive?
    Had the Apple TV before but the poor internet rendered it hardly useful... but the gaming use-case for this generation is awesome. I wonder though why they did not enable remote control via Apple Watch.

11. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

The use of VPN's aside, there really is little use for Apple TV here or in any other non-North American country. For me ha.

It would have been truly ground-reaking and Steve Jobs-esque had they introduced an Apple TV that could stream the same US channels that they enjoy over there in the US. I bet any of the major networks would tie up with the penultimate tech giant like Apple to make that possible, but nope I guess we are not that far into the future. I know there will be copyright / foreign network issues or whatever, but I just feel like if SJ was still around, he would have found a way to circumnavigate around those "obstacles."

In the meantime, I've been using my Apple TV as a paperweight (literally).

12. johannes

johannes PhilMUG Chairman
    Staff Member Chairman

I agree. All the cool bells and whistles will be just for show without a decent internet connection. Well, "it's not fatal." Oh wait, different issue. ;)

Nevertheless, it's a joy to see Apple giving the TV some serious mojo -- further proof that it's no longer a hobby product for them.

13. shootertwist

shootertwist PhilMUG Addict Member

same sentiment here, while i was overjoyed at seeing the fluid UI and the fast siri integration and loading times, i keep telling myself even though i knew it was very unlikely - if only it would allow local hard drives to be connected, to make up for our country's slow internet speed. We have an apple tv and WDTV live at home and wish i could combine apple's great UI and integration with ios products to that of local storage available on the WDTV. Anyway i'm sure Plex will be some sort of a compromise on this thing once they have their own app there :)

14. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I have a PLDT 8 mbps connection (DSL, not Fibr). It's surprisingly good for video streaming (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Apple Events) on the Apple TV. Netflix videos will start playing within seconds of pressing play -- it'll be blocky (like a VCD) at first then will look HD within a couple of minutes. I know part of the good performance is attributable to the fact that Netflix videos playing on the Apple TV are served from Apple's own CDN (content delivery network). Not sure about the other streaming services.

We can have 2-3 video streams going on simultaneously with out current DSL connection.

kesongputi and Theus like this.
  15. courtside3

courtside3 PhilMUG Addict Member

Latency must be good on your side of the metropolis. Not on mine, unfortunately. It's why my Apple TV is little more than a home-sharing apparatus. :(

16. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

17. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member

The Apple TV has always been very useful for me. In fact, I got 4 of them. Mainly used for Netflix, Hulu, HBO Now and watching my iTunes movie/TV library. If I ever had a problem with streaming, it would be temporary. But I understand the frustration for some. My only problem with the new Apple TV, is how it will entice me to buy one. The price tag is a big question mark. This is not at all for the ones who already have an Apple TV. A faster proc and more memory for its games, isn't a good selling point for owners of the 3rd gen Apple TVs. I agree that they should push for more exclusive content. Maybe that will entice new buyers of Apple TV.

18. jsanggalang

jsanggalang Member

Sad that a major roadblock for most of us to enjoy this is because of our internet speed. I've been wanting to get an Apple Tv way back. But hearing from your feedback, seems like it is better to stay away from it. Is there no other way to do AirPlay other than buying an Apple TV. Should I just invest on the cheap recent gen of Apple TV?

19. Dgame12345

Dgame12345 Member

Anu ba dapat ang minimum internet speed para ma enjoy natin ang video streaming sa apple tv?

Is 3mbps speed enough?

20. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member